“Disappointing first visit to Champneys in Tring”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Champneys Health Clubs
Reviewed 12 July 2015

I found the staff nonchalant, the coffee on arrival was in a flask - a freshly made cappuccino would have been lovely eapecially after a long journey! The treatments were really disappointing, I had an Elemis facial and the therapist spent ages consulting her notes, it cost £85 for 45 minutes and I have since come out in spots! Then I had a hand heaven treatment which was basically just a manicure the therapist didn't use the cuticlle massaging machine and when I enquired about this, given the other guests in the room had this treat, she said it hurt her hands. I was hoping for a lovely hand and arm massage but didn't get this either. I ended up with too short nails and smudged nail varnish which I removed a day later- this cost £49.
Lunch was a basic buffet with nothing amazing . Champneys you may be the original Spa but you're certainly not the best!

Reviewed 31 March 2015

Went to Champneys in Tring in March for a friend's 40th and was really looking forward to it as it has such a great reputation. We had a nice day but I was sadly disappointed on a number of levels. I found the facilities dated and a bit sparse compared to other spas. The Aqua zumba class was fun but poorly organised as too many people were able to book on to it. Lunch was scheduled at a set time and very rushed with poor service. The therapy pool was also scheduled in almost military style - not very relaxing. Next time I will spend my money on a Centerparcs spa - far superior.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Once a great place to stay, now a sad inditement of the past. The staff are rude, the customer comes last and nothing is for free. The massage therapists are not top notch, more like just out of beauty school. The best rooms are extra, and the basic rooms are no where near the standard of some of the newer hip hotel spa's. In a day or three gone by Champneys would stand head and shoulders above the rest, now its probably one of the worst value for money establishments. The food is mediocre and the service is poor. If you want to go somewhere to be treated as unimportant and for staff to ignore your complaints and for you to feel like a second class citizen, then Tring is for you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

1  Thank Edinbchic
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband gave me this for Christmas and I gave my daughter the same. Very welcoming with a light breakfast option on arrival. The Thalassotherapy was reduced from £20 to £10 when we booked but probably should have been included as the all the 'attendant' did was indicate when it was time to move to the next 'jet' setup. We also booked a massage and facial which was excellent and very efficiently run. We used all the free facilities especially the indoor/outdoor jacuzzi. Lunch was well presented and tasty and a good choice. We also took advantage of the taster treatments on offer by Elemis that day. All in all a good experience and we would go back.

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 April 2014

In November my husband gave me a stay at Champneys Tring for my birthday. We had such a great time we decided to have a return day and said we would do this in April when the weather would be better and we could have a walk in their beautiful grounds. Today we did this and had an amazing day, which started with the walk and went in the open air jacuzzi, Paul went in the Thalassotherapy pool and I sunbathed around the jacuzzi. On arrival you are given lovely white fluffy dressing gowns and slippers, which you can wear for the entire day, including lunch! We then had the Body Radiance massage and my masseuse Christia was brilliant. We then had lunch which was both delicious and healthy. Then followed the Luxury Facial and I was lucky to have Christia again, sheer pleasure, followed by a pedicure for me and a manicure of Paul. A truly wonderful, relaxing day - fantastic.