“Terrible Customer Service”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Champneys Health Clubs
Reviewed 29 February 2016

I received a voucher for a day spa and took it upon myself to book another for my mother. I didn’t realise she had a hospital appointment on the day so when trying to make a change i was told i needed to pay a administration fee of £10 per person - this is just ridiculous and a money making scam. I find this terrible as clearly there should be a bedding in time for people to realise they have conflicts.

When raising the issue with the reservations desk, I have to say the staff were incredibly rude by saying I was lying about waiting on Sunday (their waiting times on calls can be terrible, i waited 20 mins) which quite frankly got my back up.

The whole experience and discussion so far with their staff does not represent the value and expectations of a Champney's spa - left me feeling incredibly bitter!

A customer experience starts from the very beginning not just from when you are at a spa – I have paid the extra £20 and now massively aggrieved that I have had to deal with their rude reservations team and insulted by being told I have lied. I find this behaviour disgusting and so far not very excited about our trip to Champneys.

2  Thank Sunshinesmiles2013

Reviewed 25 February 2016

We enjoyed two days at Champneys Tring and greatly benefited from their 2015 renovations. We were pleasantly surprised by their standard rooms, with great view of the gardens. Treatments were good as are the many facilities, many of which we didn't have time to use over our two day stay, all staff were warm and friendly, good food in a the restaurant. The only niggle was we never got a response from reception when we rang from our room. Also didn't appreciate the designated restaurant, spa waiting room and car park areas for 'premier' guests only - really unacceptable in this day and age - and frankly the 'premier' guests seemed to be very alone as so few of them - or perhaps they preferred to be amongst the hoi polloi! However we plan to return - but for two nights this time to take advantage of all that Tring has to offer.

Reviewed 12 July 2015

I found the staff nonchalant, the coffee on arrival was in a flask - a freshly made cappuccino would have been lovely eapecially after a long journey! The treatments were really disappointing, I had an Elemis facial and the therapist spent ages consulting her notes, it cost £85 for 45 minutes and I have since come out in spots! Then I had a hand heaven treatment which was basically just a manicure the therapist didn't use the cuticlle massaging machine and when I enquired about this, given the other guests in the room had this treat, she said it hurt her hands. I was hoping for a lovely hand and arm massage but didn't get this either. I ended up with too short nails and smudged nail varnish which I removed a day later- this cost £49.
Lunch was a basic buffet with nothing amazing . Champneys you may be the original Spa but you're certainly not the best!

Reviewed 31 March 2015

Went to Champneys in Tring in March for a friend's 40th and was really looking forward to it as it has such a great reputation. We had a nice day but I was sadly disappointed on a number of levels. I found the facilities dated and a bit sparse compared to other spas. The Aqua zumba class was fun but poorly organised as too many people were able to book on to it. Lunch was scheduled at a set time and very rushed with poor service. The therapy pool was also scheduled in almost military style - not very relaxing. Next time I will spend my money on a Centerparcs spa - far superior.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Once a great place to stay, now a sad inditement of the past. The staff are rude, the customer comes last and nothing is for free. The massage therapists are not top notch, more like just out of beauty school. The best rooms are extra, and the basic rooms are no where near the standard of some of the newer hip hotel spa's. In a day or three gone by Champneys would stand head and shoulders above the rest, now its probably one of the worst value for money establishments. The food is mediocre and the service is poor. If you want to go somewhere to be treated as unimportant and for staff to ignore your complaints and for you to feel like a second class citizen, then Tring is for you. Don't say I didn't warn you.

1  Thank Edinbchic