“Disappointed”
Review of The Imperial Pub

The Imperial Pub
Ranked #267 of 1,331 Nightlife in London
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This is (or was) the 'go to' pub for me and a group of film friends whenever we go to Leicester Square to the cinema. We often meet up here before a film, or in between films at an annual five day film festival. It's normally OK. Friendly staff, food and drink a tad on the pricey side due to the central London location but there is a good selection and the quality is normally fine. It gets quite busy at peak times, but people tend to come and go quite quickly so you can usually get a table if you are patient.

Sadly something happened on Good Friday. I'm hoping it was a one-off and have complained to the head office in the hope that the issue will not recur. There was an Easter egg raffle, with tickets sold for £1 by bar staff. There were a range of eggs, around 12 in total including small bags of mini eggs. I bought a ticket, asked when the draw would take place, and I was told as it would be after 8pm when I was due to leave I could leave my name and number, which I did.

Around 7.30pm most (if not all, but at least half a dozen) of the eggs were taken over and given to the table next to ours. This table had already been identified to us earlier as a group of regulars. No draw had taken place. We were sat right in front of the bar and heard/saw nothing. When I challenged the barman about this he gave me a very artificial 'confused' look as if I was crazy and said that the draw had just taken place. I pointed out to him that this was evidently not true, but he persisted with the lying.

I don't like being lied to or treated like an idiot and I'm hoping that this favouritism is attributable to a new member of staff who will be taken to task. If not I suspect the nearby Wetherspoons will become the new go to bar.

All reviews
"slug"
"theatre"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 20 March 2018

The lady behind the bar was lovely and friendly. The pub itself has a good atmosphere. The food is very nice, myself and my mother had the chicken, bacon open sandwich. I liked how we were sat in a traditional pub bang central in Leicester Square.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

From J Boy of Derby
Good little West End pub just off the Square.
Helpful staff good pint of beer at normal West End prices.
Toilets are upstairs for ladies and downstairs gents so quite a bit of climbing to do.
Pub wasn't to busy on a Thursday evening but gets packed at weekends.
Nice outside seating available.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

This is still a great old pub with good food BUT on our last visit it really needs something doing to it. The seats are very worn with big rips in the seats, the paper is torn, some of the paper is coming off the ceiling and the toilets need an overhaul. It is a shame that the brewery don't do anything about it because it is a lovely little pub with history and it is a popular place, so come on Greene King......DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BUT DON'T LET IT LOSE ITS CHARACTER!!!!