“Great garden to sit in at your breakfast. Sometimes very quiet. But sometimes noisy because of airplanes.”
Review of At Home London B&B

At Home London B&B
Ranked #273 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Good but autonomic "do it yourself" breakfast.
Artistic atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Manchester
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I’ve just finished a 7 week stint of staying with Rosa and Beep 'At Home' in Ealing. From my very first arrival date, Rosa welcomed me at a time to suit my schedule (it was quite late and interrupted her dinner) when we enjoyed a very pleasant handover of keys and payment in her far from shabby ‘shabby chic’ kitchen. I was then free to come and go as I pleased and felt very much at home.

I’ve stayed in many of the en-suite rooms available and found them all to share a high standard of cleanliness, comfort and style. The shower rooms were all new and thoughtfully planned with heated radiators to keep the towels lovely and warm.

Every room is decorated individually with tasteful and artistic pieces of furniture and art. I had the treat of sleeping in a beautiful ‘Arts and Crafts’ bed one stay and on another occasion Rosa had chosen the most luxurious Persian rug that felt wonderful underfoot. There are pieces of art adorning the whole house that add interest and some definitely took me back to a time when I wore flowers in my hair.

There is a good wi-fi signal on all floors that makes keeping in touch with friends and colleagues really easy to do.

Rosa had thoughtfully placed lots of flavoured tea in the rooms although I’m very much a breakfast tea baby at heart. Breakfast itself is a “help yourself/cook yourself” affair, which is great when one want to do a quick slice of toast to eat on the way as well as when one feels like breaking a few eggs. This alone is a treat using stylish Delonghi appliances that fit in well with the bohemian style – don’t be fooled - every key, door handle, quirky piece of furniture is chosen by a very discerning pallet that knocks spots off any interiors magazine.

I spent 10 minutes one morning watching young foxes frolicking in the leaf pile in the garden that Rosa very kindly opens up to anyone who’d like to use it.

My only word of caution is that this is not a place for folk who prefer plastic, 2 for 1, eat till you burst type establishments and get a thrill out of stealing the little shampoos and biscuits – more for those that appreciate subtle elegance and good taste mixed with a little eccentricity. I’ve had a wonderful experience and can’t wait to turn the key in the big red door another time.

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the garden would be especially nice
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mediagirl32
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed at this B&B as a family of 3 for over a week in July. The location was perfect for us (near a Central line underground station, peaceful neighbourhood, lots of shops and parks nearby. Walpole park is worth a visit!), and the house & garden were lovely. Our room, The Sanctuary, along with its bathroom was clean and well-kept. It was a bit on the small side (we had quite heavy baggage), but since we spent so much time outside the room, that wasn't much of a problem.

The kitchen was clean as well and very cosy, and we enjoyed our help-yourself breakfasts in the morning. Coffee was definitely better than back home! Beep, the dog, was a major attraction to our son and friendly towards us all.

We felt welcome there, and the owner was nice and even allowed us to pay later, when we hadn't managed to withdraw any cash from local ATMs on our arrival. Our own experience was highly positive. We feel that much of negative feedback here could have been avoided by visitors reading the Terms & Conditions on the place's homepage (it states very clearly that you must pay on arrival and that there is an extra charge for paying with credit card) and bearing in mind that B&B's are not hotels.

Thank you, Rosa! If we get a chance to travel back to London, we're very likely to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Aino2011
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Where do I start.. Once greeted ("hello come and sign in..with your credit card") we were dragged into the kitchen for payment.. Was ment to have had a family member pay for us as a present!! But no she had a load of paper out with previous emails on it stating a 30% booking fee/deposit after running off with the credit card and not allowing me to go and see what was going on with my card.. Prob because of the clutter in the room (health and safety issue) after she came back she supprised us with a charge for using the card!! Yes just what we needed!! The room.. It was clean, beds wasn't made the whole time we were there, tea tasted like camels foreskin, coffee was like elephant ring piece!! Went to have a shower and the lime scale in the shower head was over powering, at one point I thought it was going to block up the holes that let the water out of!! Wasn't such a private bath room ether with no lock on the door to keep it private!! Went to sleep with the window rattling and the door shaking, misses thought someone was trying to get in our room it was that bad... As we then left at the end of our stay the owner didn't ask how our trip was and just didn't care!! out of 10 I would rate it -8...... Cheers

• Stayed July 2011
8 Thank Tractorboi

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Not at all impressed - emphasise was on getting payment as soon as possible. The proprieter was cold and disinterested in our welfare. Stayed there for five nights and not once did anyone actually clean the room or empty the bins. Even left the door open one day and still nothing done in the room. TV reception was dreadful and cleanliness was poor. The only good thing was it was good value for a place in London - so I guess you get what you pay for - rubbish! I felt we were intruding on someones home - and they put up with us just to earn some extra cash - very unwelcoming place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple