“dump”
Review of Romanos Hotel

Romanos Hotel
Ranked #966 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 November 2011

this has got to be the most overpriced hotel i have ever stayed in i have just got back from a 1 night stay and believe me that was too long the room was very small and dingey the bathroom was ridiculously small and im only 5ft 2 anybody taller would have no chance the so called dining room was a joke the tables were fold up camping tables. The best is they were charging £169.00 a night luckily my sister booked it through hotel beds.com and we only paid half the price i definitely would not recommend this hotel even if u are on a budget . the only plus side was the location for victoria appllo theatre.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank margaret h
There are newer reviews for Romanos Hotel

Reviewed 20 November 2011

I was there in March 2011, in 5 bed room with my frineds. We payed 20€ each/per night and for that price I am very satisfied. The room was clean, the bathrom was clean (also very small because all of my frineds, including me, were playing basketball and each of us is 2m tall). We used room just for sleeping and breakfast ( which is a little bit parsimonius). The room service was good because every time we came back to room it was all clean and fixed.
All I can say is that for the price that we payed it's a very good place to stay (at least our room was) especially if you're using a room like we did, just for sleep, eat something in the morning and leave the things you bought.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2011

booked this room through British Hotel Reservation Centre (BHRC) located at St Pancreas station when I traveled from Paris to London last month, October 2011. I prepaid for 2 nights at the Romanos Hotel at 31 Charlwood street, Victoria, London. I took the metro to Victoria station and walked to the small hotel. Immediately, upon entering their lobby, I knew I probably couldn't stay just from the condition of the lobby. I ask the clerk behind the desk if I could view the room first. He stated that it didn't matter if I liked the room or not, I was still paying. He acted put out that I would want to see the room first but reluctantly did take me to the room because I insisted. the hotel was very run down, smelled horribly and was not somewhere I could stay. I left the hotel. I am currently attempting to get the charges reversed through my credit card company since I didn't stay the two nights. That day, I e-mailed BHRC because I wanted them to know how unhappy I was that they would place me in such a bad hotel. I never heard back from them. I ended up re-emailing them 2 more times, each time requesting a response but never received any. It's apparent to me that BHRC is less concerned about providing adequate lodging than obtaining the booking fee kick back that they receive from the London establishments that they represent. Don't use BHRC for your bookings and stay away from the Romanos Hotel unless you normally like to stay in run down, smelly, unkempt surroundings.

Room Tip: don't be so anxious that you rely on a booking agency. walk the streets of London confident that...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank etto
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I was staying overnight en route to France and had intended to return for one evening on my way home five days later. However, the whole experience was so unpleasant that I never returned.
Firstly, the staff were incredibly rude and didn't seem to be at all accommodating to the requests made at the time of booking, despite assuring me that they would be able to provide me with an en suite and breakfast before my early departure. The ensuite bathroom was outside my room and up a flight of stairs! I was told on arrival that no-one would be around to provide breakfast at 6.30am "for just one person" The lady who welcomed me to the hotel could not have made me feel any less valued as a client.
My room was filthy - I have stayed in developing and war-torn countries where facilities are basic, however they have always been far cleaner than my room. The bedding alone was unpleasant, without mentioning the other hygiene concerns!
Having spent a reasonable £15 on a taxi from Euston to the hotel, which is a short distance from Victoria, I was very surprised when I was quoted £19 for a taxi organised by reception to take me and my luggage to Westminster Cathedral to pick up the next stage of my journey. Thankfully I knew where I was going, as reception had booked the taxi to take me to Westminster Abbey!
It seems to be the sort of place where people rent rooms by the hour - hardly what you would like to stay amongst as a stop over! I have never felt less secure in a hotel as a solo traveller anywhere - Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone it is truly awful with no redeeming features.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank mary h
Reviewed 28 July 2011

As people in most of the reviews already mentioned, the Romanos is not a very pleasant place to stay. The rooms are small and rather dirty (nothing spectacular, but they just seem not to be cleaned very often and at least a bit thoroughly), toilet had the size of a wardrobe, and the front desk lady is rude and not very helpful. The stairs are steep and narrow - not for people with disabilities.
The Pimlico has its charms though, and I don't think you can find many better hotels in this area for the price you can get at Romanos. You get a breakfast in the price, too, which is useful when you are starting a busy day early.
The idea with paying up front and additional charge for using a credit card speaks for itself though.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple