“Howbeer ”

Ranked #4,576 of 23,592 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Burmese, Indian, Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Paddington / Maida Vale
Description: Finally we are ready once again to excite your palate with our authentic Myanmar dishes at our new and larger premises at 302, Kilburn High road London NW6 2DB on Monday 24/07/2017 from 18:00 hours. So are you ready to challenge your taste buds? If you are, come and experience the new look of our restaurant. Looking forward in seeing you soon to welcome you once again.
Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

I recommend this restaurant is very good food, and very delicious food, spaical kozy is really nice and taste

1  Thank Howbeer A

Reviewed 11 June 2016

We invariably come here. After watching the cricket at Lords, twenty minutes walk away, we stop by for dinner on the way to Paddington, for the trip back to the West Country.

It is important to book ahead if you want to be sure of a table. This place is very popular and fills up quickly for good reason. Read on.

For a few years here was the only purveyor of this nations food and even now, one of only a half dozen or so restaurants from Burma (Myanmar) It really is a good find the Mandalay in Edgware Road.

For those not familiar with Burmese cuisine, they draw their inspiration from surrounding countries, but roughly, if you think of a combination of Indian & Chinese, you won’t be far wrong and this should hit the right taste buds for most of us. Curries, rice or noodle dishes, salads and fried snacks are combined into innovative dishes with herbs and spices, hot, sweet or sour that will delight your palette.

Also there is no shortage of original dishes for those who prefer vegetarian options.

This summers day (June 2016) having watched England make a somewhat slow start against Sri Lanka on the first day of the Third Test, we stopped by to find the place redecorated, with high backed chairs and a more tastefully minimalist decor.

There had been a revamp of the menu also, but our welcome, the food quality and presentation were as good as we remembered.

Price wise, it’s a steal. You wouldn’t think you were in London at all just a hop-and-a-skip from pricey St John’s Wood. There are a lot of ethnic places to eat in Edgware Road, but the Mandalay is one of the most reasonably priced of many of them. Worth a visit - and a few repeat visits afterward.

3  Thank Andress3
Reviewed 29 April 2016

Don't be put off by the rather depressing area or basic decor, this is a really nice place to eat. Warm, friendly staff and an interesting and varied menu offering well-cooked and delicious Burmese food. Really good value too. Have been a couple of times and both were excellent - highly recommend!

4  Thank mike_b1299
Reviewed 22 April 2016

I was there with a few friends.
First time having Burmese ... we got some good guidance on menu favourites and feeling in the mood for something spicy they helped choose some mains - lamb curries and chicken.
Food arrived in good time - but I was disappointed with portion sizes. Very small if you ask me. Tasty and spicy .. but you'll want extra sides.

2  Thank mr_uk_2006
Reviewed 22 April 2016

I spent some time travelling in Myanmar recently and really craved some Burmese food, so when the opportunity arose to visit this restaurant, I jumped at the chance. It being a Tuesday the place was not crowded, even though it is very small and reserving a table seems like a good idea.

I loved the tea leaf salad, the calabash fritters (with tasty relishes, the lime one being especially good) and the red lentil soup, all of which reminded me very much of the food I enjoyed around Mandalay city. The fish soup with rice vermicelli varies from region to region in Myanmar - this one was a version I'd not previously had, and quite a lot more delicate/less hearty than I'd expected, but fine, just different. The lentil rice and vegetable noodles were good, nice plain food; I was surprised by the aubergine and potato, which was drier than most dishes I'd encountered on my travels. The special Myanmar sweet (agar jelly and tapioca) was exquisite. The bill was modest by London standards and I felt we'd had good value. The staff were very accommodating, and topping up the water jug and bringing extra spoons and dishes so that my guests and I could all taste each other's food..

A couple of things I'd have liked to show my guests but didn't find on the menu: garlic and chilli flake sauce; thinly sliced unripe mango relish; and (perhaps we missed it on the menu) some of the fabulous fresh vegetable curries I'd got used to and would love to experience again. My only slight grumble is that I kind-of expected a pot of green tea (or refills) rather than just one cup with a teabag. But these points are suggestions for the future, rather than criticisms. We had a lovely evening and will almost certainly come again if we get the chance.

2  Thank Kate B