“The experience beat the price however expensive!”
Review of Dans Le Noir ?

Dans Le Noir ?
Ranked #911 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$62 - US$137
Cuisines: International
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Located in trendy Clerkenwell, the novel concept behind Dans le Noir is to re-think the notion of taste by serving your food in complete pitch darkness. The eclectic menu is designed to maximise such heightened sensory awareness; instead of listed dishes, there are surprise menus with omissions to suit different tastes (such as vegetarian). Blind staff serve and guide diners in the main restaurant, with a lit bar and lounge for ordering and pre- or post-dinner cocktails.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was so excited to be there, as something I've had on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. Eager to see if the stories were true and if the place really is - PITCH BLACK. Well, it was 100% true, I still had some hope that maybe if I had eaten enough carrots that week that I would be able to see a few shapes but no. NOTHING and... I Loved it!!

It was strange how much I enjoyed trying to search around for things and tasting the food and not having people stare at you while eating. I didn't wanna leave and I have to say I was disappointed that me and my friends didn't get anyone to sit next to... although saying that, trying to feel around for someone might turn into an awkward encounter.

Me and my friends really loved our waiter - Jack, a lot of laughs and great to have around. Overall we loved the experience and I would like to come back..

It was when we came back out that we found the faults with it. First off, we went upstairs to find out what we had just eaten which was cool because I got a lot of right, but then we quickly realised that the small room we were put in, was the silent disco we had been promised.. and we thought it was going to be a proper disco with a dance floor and some lights. It was more of a cocktail room with a few tables and no room to move and everyone wearing headphones.

We went back downstairs to see the check, and wow.. we were shocked at how much our two-course meal came to, with added soft drinks and 1 shot.

Overall I settled for the high priced meal and the small room disco/bar because the experience won me over and its something I think everyone should be more open to doing.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,140)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Went with friends of ours to celebrate their 51st birthday. Arrival was welcoming. Everything was explained well. We then went into the restaurant and it was as advertised. It was pitch black and your eyes never adjusted.

That was a pretty different experience. Trying to eat with zero light. We had a lot of laughs and the service was excellent. What I expected was for the restaurant to focus on the food. Obviously, no money goes into decor, etc. But the food was below average. The meat was fatty, no carbs, small portions. We left there hungry. The bill came to £326 for 4 of us. Quite expensive for less-than-average food.

I will say that the service was excellent and the experience was different. I wouldn’t recommend it though.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited a group of us on a Saturday, when we arrived everything was explained to us and we were guided to our table by our waiter who was absolutely awesome and very patient and helpful. The experience definitely heightens your senses which draws your attention to smells which I didn’t like. The food was ok - you find out what you ate after, but I didn’t particularly find any of it really tasty. An experience but overpriced for what it is and mediocre food.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Food was VERY average for the amount of money paid! For that price you can have a fantastic meal in another restaurant in London. The concept is a great idea, but the execution was quite poor! In the complete darkness your senses are definitely heightened, but unfortunately this meant that the bad smell in the restaurant and mushy food were even more top of mind. If going for the experience my suggestion would be to go for the cheapest food option and lower your expectations.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My sister and I attended the 6.30 sitting and got seated next to a couple who were so much fun, my side hurt from laughing all night. Not having you're phone on you (you have to put any light source into a locker beforehand) means the social experience is top notch. The waiters were just fantastic, friendly, witty, and couldn't have done more for us. It was a bit expensive but to be honest, well worth the money and an experience i will remember for a long time. I can't wait to visit London again to go back!!

1  Thank Jennifer C