“Lunch by the River”

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was our second visit to The Narrow and I remembered having just the best, tastiest fish and chips with the lightest batter. The position on the river is perfect. Service was relaxed and efficient. Wine starts at £22. The menu is small (this is good). It is best to book as this pub/restaurant gets very busy. Sorry had the Fish and chips again!

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the nice review and I won't blame you for having the fish and chips it's one of my favourite as well!! Next time if you should come on a Monday we offer pie and quite often we have a fish pie (really good as well!!)

We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Kind regards,
The management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I randomly found this place when I used to take walks on my lunch time when I worked in Canary Wharf. Love the views, vibes and roasts on Sunday’s. Great to go here in the cozy winter time or on a summer Sunday just to people watch. I’ve always used this place to take people and introduce them to this little gem as I’m an expat. People always love it and happy that I’ve found this years ago and can share with people.

Hi Pamela,

Thank you very much for the nice review! I'm glad you always have a great time with us.

We are looking to seeing you again!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went here on Easter Sunday expecting a long leisurely lunch, returning home stuffed and lounging on our sofa, this is very far from what happened.

We arrived at 12.15 for 12.30 the place was pretty empty so were extremely shocked to be sat in the boat house, a big empty area where you cannot see the river, it was very depressing and miserable. The website states first come, first served for the conservatory, this clearly is not the case and despite promising we would only be one hour we could not be moved. The courses were served so quickly we only took 40 minutes. It felt like we were on a conveyor belt, the bread and butter were brought with the starters and within minutes the main meal, very fatty meat, hard large potatoes, not crispy and green vegetables two tiny florets of broccoli (hard). We could not wait to leave and felt totally disappointed to have wasted our day, we could have got a roast locally to us and having driven quite a way for a river view for an early sitting felt cheated. I have posted a previous review for here which was very good but it all depends on where you get sat so I am posting this as a warning to you as we would not return as they cannot say where you will be sitting. Also, the car park was flooded.

Hi MickeyEssex_England,

I am really sorry to hear of your bad experience. We always take on bad/ constructive criticism so we can work on the points that were disappointing to our guests. If you would like to discuss this further please email me at BarryKavanagh@gordonramsay.com

Kind Regards,
Management

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

if sixteen people go to a restaurant together it is going to be a challenge. We were there to celebrate a friends big birthday and because of our numbers we were offered a lovely private room where our party enjoyed a long and happy lunch. The hard working waiter managed to keep us all well served with food and drink throughout. I enjoyed charcuterie followed by the excellent Fish and Chips and also a rice pudding dessert. Several of us had the same main course and everyone found this to be very satisfying. Some also had a very good looking cod dish though the portion was not as large as some might have wanted. My overall feeling was that I will be happy to go back to this restaurant becuase I loved its location, the service was good and I enjoyed the food

GRG R, Manager at The Narrow, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello David

Thank you for your review and I pass on to the chef your feedback about the cod. Glad you had a great time with us.

We are looking forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Arrived late afternoon without a booking and the place was busy. Thankfully a table was found on the heated terrace. Great views , friendly attentive staff and superb food.

GRG R, Manager at The Narrow, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello

Thank you for the great review. We where delighted to hear you enjoyed sitting on the terrace.

We hope to see you again soon.

Barry