“Nice wee brunch spot”
Review of The Barge House

The Barge House
Ranked #5,918 of 24,807 Restaurants in London
Reviewed 2 April 2018

First of all great location about 20mins walk from the bustle of Old street and you're at the chill yet trendy canal side. The downstairs seating is really nice even without a canal view (its much quieter than the upstairs) We went for the Breakfast in Bread, and we were not disappointed, huge crusty loaf stuffed to the gunnels with tasty bits and pieces. Perfect for a catch up.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Beautiful spot! Nicely decorated, warm & homey but still very trendy! The food is REALLY good! Great chef!!!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Having seen the breakfast in bread speciality on Instagram we couldn’t have been more excited to make a booking for brunch. We arrived and were seated in a long communal type table. Have been to plenty of places that do this, normally no problem but this table was not long at all and had 4 couples seated at it. There was barely any room to breathe and it made it very difficult to have a conversation, I did learn a lot about the lady next to me’s job..
The coffee was adequate, the food was delicious. They give you steak knives to cut the bread which was still a challenge as you really needed some elbow space to be able to cut into it, so it was a constant elbow war with the strangers next to you.
I would of happily ordered another drink had they asked but as it was not offered I didn’t bother.
When it came time to ask for the bill it seemed to be quite a hassle and it was actually quite impressive that she could perform the entire transaction without a word.
Unfortunately poor service in London seems to be the norm and this was no exception.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I was really looking forward to a lovely Sunday afternoon at The Barge House, tucking into some delightful brunch and catching up with my friends. The scene was set, lovely blue skies, glorious sunshine and not a smidge of hangover.

Me and my friends arrive and are told it was going to be a 35 minute wait for a table in the main foyer in the sunshine or outside, to which we said no worries we will sit in the lounge area. No fuss was made and we sat down to order some drinks at the sofa area... This was our first battle in a brunch war that will go down long in the memory.

At first, I simply ask for the Peruvian hot choc, to which the waitress replies, "Oh you dont fancy a bloody mary?". At first, I think she is being playful and I reply "Not really my cup of tea unfortunately". She doesn't like that reply, and says "you've clearly not had a good one then", I then follow up and say "I think I'm ok thank you, I am not feeling too well". She then glumy replies, "Why don't you have a cocktail?", to which again I simply decline.

She then asks my other friends what they are having, both ask for tea and she sums up the order by sarcastically stating "You guys are lots of fun". Bit rude?

Next up, she forgets the milk for the teas but no worries, we can look past that. What was slightly less cool was when my friend asked for a simple change to his dish. He had asked if the egg on top could be removed... The waitress took it upon herself to come up with a multitude of reasons as to why this would be an issue, ranging from "The chefs have worked really hard on this product" to "the flavours really do compliment each other" and between these reasons my friend every time replied "I don't like fried egg I am sorry". She could not believe it and finally caved, phew!

As mentioned before, we were in the longue on some sofas, and as many people may also believe, they are not the most comfortable for eating on. So when a table came up next to us we thought it may have been a good idea to move across. Our waitress was a bit busy at this point but no worries as her colleague was near by. We asked her if it would be ok to move table and she said "Absolutely fine, let me clear the plates away", to which we replied "Yes that is great thank you" - a nice civil exchange.

We move across and next thing we see is our lovely original waitress storm across to the table... "Sorry guys but this has really messed the system up, we can't just have people move tables half way through ordering." I then simply say "Yeah I do agree, I can imagine it can mess the system up, but your colleague has said we can move and it would not be an issue"... At this point I am thinking she can't surely come back, but alas she does. "I just spoke to her and she said that you had moved without asking..."... Wow, just wow. So now we are apart of some mad conspiracy of lying about tables... Jesus Christ. She follows up by saying "Look sorry if I am being a b**** but I have had a long morning and it is super busy"... Ok but I am not sure why you are taking it on us?

What was really weird about this was when the other waitress who moved us to the other table came to to clear our plates she did not speak to us and when I asked for the bill she simply smiled - there was a weird vibe going around and I am not too sure why she had lied to her colleague or, why our other waitress had lied to us about her colleague lying?

The food comes and it's good, a lovely guy presents our food and we duly tuck in, it's certainly worth a little bit of a wait. Our waitress didn't ask us how are food was or if there was anything she could do for us but no worries, I wouldn't have wanted to put her out of her way like that.

When presented with the bill I had asked for the service charge to be taken off, the first time I had ever done this... she shook her head in disbelief and gave me a new bill.

Honestly, this place seems really cool but I have no idea what the service was about, it was fairly busy but she seemed like she wanted to fight us the whole time we were there. Sorry about the rant, but I have never experienced anything like this in my 23 years of living on this planet.

11  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

A group of us including two dogs were walking from Limehouse to Little Venice along Regent Canal and in need of coffee. And happened upon this great place. Delicious coffee, inviting and tasty Portuguese custard tarts and sour dough toast with home made jam. Very friendly staff.