“Very Unwelcoming Coffee Shop”
Review of Notes

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Notes
Ranked #1,323 of 1,496 Coffee & Tea in London
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I was the only customer and there were four members of staff. It took about 2 mins. before anyone acknowledged me and took my order (a skinny latte to takeaway), although sadly there was no hello, please or thank you.. It then took about 4 mins of me waiting before I realised none of the staff had started preparing the coffee. After one of the staff members noticed me looking, he started to make the coffee, which he then plonked in front of me without a word.

The coffee was very small, about half the size of what you would get at most other coffee shops and although the cup was full and for takeaway, no lid was given. The taste of the coffee was fine but it was only lukewarm and although I had asked for a skinny latte it tasted like it had been made with whole milk. It cost £3 for takeaway or £3.20 to drink in.

It costs nothing to welcome your customers with an hello and use please and thank you, or at least pretend to show some interest in serving your customers. Unfortunately, there was none of that here at Notes and I was made to feel unwelcome. For that reason I could not recommend Notes and will not be returning.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (34)

Reviewed 7 September 2020

This venue is a hidden gem of a cafe and bar. It is focused on the cafe side as the clientele dictate its decor for meeting and working. It is a clean design and the ambience is relaxed. There is a small area for outdoor seating with online table service. The staff are friendly and the service is standard. The bar side requires more development as the staff are surprised when customers focus on drinks. However, the drinks are well made and reasonably priced for the area. It is a popular venue and the atmosphere certainly helps to keep people returning.

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank louiville7
T4591XLrobertr, Owner at Notes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, really appreciated and glad to hear you had a good visit.

The feedback on drinks service is really useful.

Thanks again,
Best,
Rob

Reviewed 6 July 2020

We decided to have our first post-Covid Sunday breakfast at Notes in Canary Wharf. We were hoping that seeing that this is the second day restaurants are open and can serve food within their premises after more than 3 months of lockdown, the service and the food would be good and the restaurant would be keen to have people back... Big mistake.

My partner ordered 'Wild Mushrooms and Parmesan on Sourdough' and got button mushrooms with dirt still on them with dry parmesan that doesn't go off and you can buy in plastic containers on dry sourdough. At no point was there any wild mushrooms. This was £7.50.

I ordered 'Smoked Salmon and Fired Egg with Avocado and Red Pepper Pesto on Sourdough' and was served two small pieces of salmon on the side of one end of sourdough which contained old, gummy sliced avocado (not mashed, no olive oil or seasoning on top) and the other end which contained an egg - the yolk was hard and the white was all curled up so it was definitely not fried, more placed in the microwave and heated for a couple of minutes. This was £12.00.

The poor quality of food makes sense - this place doesn't have a kitchen at all so all food is prepared on the counter at the bar. They have one microwave type oven in which they do the toasting and the frying.

The staff was also quite appalling. We never got the greeting and nobody even looked up at us when we were leaving. The waiter served coffees without placing any sugar on the table; when the food was served nobody ever came back to check if it was okay. Moreover, two ladies who were also on duty, were sat in the back of the restaurant (a few meters away from our table) gossiping and then stood up and went for a cigarette in front of the restaurant. That's as low as service can go really.

So overall, our breakfast with coffees cost us about £25.00 and if I was able to pay after experiencing such service and getting food of that quality, I would have never paid a penny.

A very disappointing experience indeed, we shall not be returning to Notes in this branch or any other.

Date of visit: July 2020
Reviewed 9 November 2019

Got here at 9:30AM. The place was empty but they told us we couldn't sit without paying first. Did not have any bacon. Did not have any orange juice. Did not accept 50£ notes. The food took 30 min to arrive and did not arrive all at once: the first dish took 15 mins, the second and third another 15. Bear in mind the second dish was granola, so it did not need any cooking. The staff was unapologetic, did not seem to care. One guy made himself a coffee, then prepared ours. Avoid at all cost, it just isn't worth the price.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed 9 June 2019 via mobile

9/6/19 Sunday Morning. I frequented this branch and the nearby one in Canary Wharf station a while back, every day at least twice a day when I worked in the area. I visited this morning after a long absence and felt compelled to write an overdue review as the staff were as wonderful as always and the coffee was its usual excellence.

Notes, like my other favourite, Allpress are a cut above for quality and service, compared to your outlets that provide Medicare coffee for the masses.

Where I go is relative to where I’m working or visiting.

I do have occasional reason to visit west India quay, so when I do I make sure I fit in as many visits to Notes as possible.

Today’s servers, I’d not met before, but as stated above, were the usual excellent standard I’ve experienced before

I think the young lady barista who made my coffee was American - I didn’t ask - but I only mention it to give her the credit she deserves.

I look forward to my next visit at this or any Notes I come across.

Date of visit: June 2019
Robert R, Owner at Notes, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2019

Dear Dave,

Thanks so much for your lovely review, it is really gratifying to read.

I have passed it onto the team and I know they will be chuffed.

See you at Notes again soon,
Best,