“good food but not so good service”

The Ivy Kensington Brasserie
Reserve a table
Sun, 26/09
20:00
Ranked #1,953 of 24,036 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$36 - US$55
Description: The Ivy’s urbane, neighbourhood-style brasserie for accessible Modern British eats, served all day.
Reviewed 21 August 2021

Came here for dinner with my boyfriend on what seemed to be a fairly busy Thursday evening, but the lovely front of house ladies got us seated within a couple of minutes. Unfortunately that was the fastest thing that happened for us all evening.

No one came to take our drinks order, and we had to call someone over for this to happen, however the server forgot one of our drinks not once but twice. After waiting for our drinks for roughly 10-15 minutes aka too long, we then had our food order taken and once again had to wait quite a while for a steak and fishcake. My boyfriend was going to order the fillet steak but this was not available, so in the half an hour we had been sat before we ordered no one thought to tell us of any changes to the menu that night. No one checked in on us while we were eating, my boyfriend loved the steak but the fishcake didn't agree with me and I couldn't finish it.

If I had known I could refuse to pay the service charge (which was nearly £10) I definitely would have, and would've given my tip to the ladies at the door because they gave me the best service of the night. (This is coming from a waitress/front of house staff and therefore I have a good idea of how to treat guests well)

I have visited other Ivy branches before and not had a problem, in fact receiving wonderful service, but perhaps the Kensington branch was having a bit of a rough night :/

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed 16 August 2021

I managed to get a table at late notice on a Friday evening, we knew what to expect as have been to other Ivy's.
Now granted they were busy but there seemed to be no one was organising the staff or knew who was looking after which tables.
The forgot my sons drink and I had to ask twice for it, After 45 minutes no one came back to take our order, I had to flag someone down after I was then given the wrong main course but to be honest I was happy to have it, so just accepted it. After that we had no issues and we then had the same waiter for the remainder of our time.
Food as always was great but the service needs to be addressed.

Reviewed 15 August 2021

had a fish cake at the Ivy on Tuesday evening, it was very dry and not fresh. I thought it was the way it was - this restaurant just did not make good food - so did not raise a concern. On the same night when I went to sleep I felt sick and irritated in the stomach. The next day when I woke up I had a fever, headache and body pains. Went to see my GP, my temperature was 38.9 and had to take paracetamol for 5 days to relieve the symptoms. felt absolute rubbish. Very bad restaurant, very bad food, will tell everyone I know not to go there. Also they asked me to change to the counter when I was at the middle of my dessert because my booking of a table couldn't be too long and there were new costumers coming. A terrible restaurant

Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

Had a very good meal, staff were soooo helpful , food was a bit slow but the lobster linguine was very good, over all very nice, I’ve had a lot better but would definitely go back

1  Thank 909grahamm
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

Visit on a busy Friday night. We had a booking at 7pm, we arrived couple of minutes earlier and our table was waiting for us. The receptionist warm welcomed us and showed our table straight away, we didn’t have to wait not even a second.
Our waiter Jean Baptiste was brilliant, he literally made our staying a top notch experience. He took the order of our drinks immediately (i had an interesting twist over a Negroni - Yuku Negroni if i’m not wrong - and my friend had a perfect Manhattan, both cocktails were delicious).
We also order couple of starters, truffle arancini and fried zucchini, 10/10 as usual!
For our mains we ordered the steak tartare and the fish cake: once again the chefs were perfectly on spot. The tartare was just perfect and the fish cake was super yummy!
At the end of our meal, Jean Baptiste tempted us with the dessert menù, but we were too full for it, but not for a couple of espresso martinis ;)
Was a brilliant night, top level service in a beautiful environment! We’ll be back 100%!

1  Thank diba182