“Better get out on time in the evening or the vacuum cleaner starts!”
Review of Amaya

Amaya
Ranked #396 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$40 - US$94
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Belgravia
Description: Amaya is the sister fine dining restaurant of Chutney Mary and Veeraswamy. It focuses uniquely on sophisticated Indian grills, seasoned with subtle complex marinades. These are cooked in full view in a theatrical restaurant show kitchen It is a casual and joyous restaurant where people can relax and eat with their fingers if they wish. The real Indian food is designed to be shared and is served as it is prepared. There are no conventional first courses or main courses.Amaya achieved the rare distinction of winning the two most prestigious restaurant awards in the UK in the same year - The Tio Pepe ITV Awards for Best Restaurant as well as the Best New Restaurant. This is the first time either award has been awarded to a restaurant serving non - European food, let alone an Indian restaurant.In 2006, it also became one the very few Indian restaurants to be awarded a Star in any Michelin Red Guide.
Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

One of our favourite stops in London. We come every trip to AMAYA but today we were in total shock !
Our reservation was for 9 pm.
We were enjoying our dinner and wine. Some dishes take at least 30 minutes to arrive at your table. At 11.00 our waiter was giving us his opinion on the deserts and then it started. I asked the waiter if it’s possible that I am hearing a vacuum cleaner ? The waiter replied yes. We looked around and there were still at least 5 full tables still eating. The vacuum never stopped and nor did the setting up of the tables.
On the way out, the lady at the door apologized and said it was normal but she will let the manager know that we were upset.
My suggestion is don’t book your dinner as of 9 pm.
We love the food but next time we will be there earlier never again at 9 pm!!!!!!!

2  Thank nflorian
Write a ReviewReviews (1,268)

Reviewed 12 October 2017

I have returned again.....
I have no idea how they cook such food, it is truly an experience.
The only major negative is, as follows:

Even my favourite (local) indian restaurant does not even come close and for a few weeks seems a poor alternative.

The lamb chops are so nice, i suspect I have been eating mutton elsewhere!!

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Me, my daughter, my friend and her son went here thinking the food was going to be amazing. The food was a huge disappointment. The staff just kept on filling up our water glasses but the food rooK absolutely ages to come. And when it did come it was bland, and tasteless. I felt like it was some sort of a joke. The food was served very five star but the taste was not worth the kind of money they were asking for. We just left all of it. The staff were looking at us aLloyd shocked and we felt they were talking about us. Then one of them came and asked us if we had some complaints with the food. We apologised and said we don't mean to be rude but we didn't like the food at all. We had said we thought the variety of dishes available were less and the vegetable biryani was not tasty at all. They had taken so long for it to come aswell but by the time it came we were so hungry that we would have eaten the plate. But the food just put us off. So we said sorry but we didn't like it here. The man apologised and said that this normally never happens. And we appreciate that he took off the charges for the dishes we didn't eat. We were thankful for that because otherwise our money was completely wasted. He had said their food is fusion and not typical Indian food. Anyway, we did try quite a few dishes there but all of them were just looking pretty the taste was not good. Atleast not what we find tasty. We like to explore with food but it has to taste nice. Not just look nice.

Positives about the restaurant is that it is beautiful inside. The lighting, the decor and the seating. All very comfortable and five star. I can't say that is enough though. And the drinks were very nice. A passion fruit drink was ordered byour my friend and my daughter and it looked so pretty and tasted good they said.

Preman M, General Manager at Amaya, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review, which we are very concerned to read.

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at Amaya. The food at Amaya is far from bland, though i accept taht it may not be to your liking.

In any event, I would like to investigate which particular dishes you found to be bland. .

You mentioned that a man apologised and took off the charge for the dishes. Unfortunately, none of the managers have any recollection of such an incident. Therefore a copy of the bill for your visit will enable me to investigate any potential short comings in the dishes that you ordered. In this respect, please send me, by email, a scanned copy of your bill. My email address is pm@realindianfood.com.

Sincerely
Preman Mohan
Operations Director (Fine Dining)
Amaya, Veeraswamy, Chutney Mary

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Great restaurant. Indian food with a twist. We have been here repeatedly and always order the tasting menu. While it is a pricey restaurant it is well worth the expense. When making the reservation make sure to ask for a table away from the grill as it gets very hot near the cooking station.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

This is possibly the most uncomfortable restaurant I have been in a long time. Tables are so close to the grills where they cook all the food that you are cooked as well! There is not protection and it was so hot we could barely stay! We ordered a set menu and the dinner lasted 3 hours, the service very slow and not focused at all. Food good but not exceptional, I will definitely not go back!