“Daughters 17th birthday ”

The Fork In The Road
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fork In The Road is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 311 Restaurants in Middlesbrough
Price range: US$7 - US$36
Description: We prepare and serve awesome food and help to change lives. We exist to offer the very best cuisine in beautiful surroundings AND also create employment and training opportunities for those who want to make a fresh start in life. Our Fork In The Road Academy is run at Stockton Riverside College and prepares a small number of long term unemployed people for work experience and potential apprenticeship employment with us. We're a social enterprise established by charity: CEO Sleepout.
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Having been meaning to visit for a while we finally choose to visit for our daughters 17th , although they were extremely busy they still managed to squeeze us in which we were relieved of .
We found the menus simple and straightforward with a fair choice for selection the girls choose squid and I had a black pudding starter while we all opted for medium rare steak for our main .
Dessert was a delicious brown sugar , rum and pineapple cheesecake which was amazing .
So from us it's well recommended as all the staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was great and the little birthday touches made the night .
Thanks guys. , see you again soon

1  Thank pwfloor

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

A street restaurant at the town end of Linthorpe road. Difficult to park but worth the hassle. We were a walk-in on a Thursday evening but getting a table wasn't a problem. The restaurant is really beautifully styled, and it's impossible not to relax and enjoy the space. The Teesside industry theme isn't overdone (as so easily could be) but tasteful and lets you know you're in a local independent restaurant.

There are prix fixe menus of 2 or 3 courses, an a la carte menu, and a fair wine list (but would like to see more choice on here especially by the glass). I had an amazing pink lamb dish with a spiced slaw and kofta, pitta and tsatsiki. It wasn't hot enough and it was clear which items had been plated up first from the temperatures. But it was too good to bother sending back for a reheat and didn't last long on the plate anyway as it was so delicious. My partner had the pie of the day which was excellent quality. Maybe go for well-heated plates if chef takes time to serve up. The set menu choices all sounded delightful and we will try this next time we come.

I read some reviews on here before writing my own. Yes, the servers are inconsistent, yes you get asked the same questions twice or more. Go with it! These people are learning! This is really good food in a beautiful place at reasonable prices. Smile at the staff for goodness' sake.

The new GM introduced himself before we left and I'm sure with some solid training sessions the Fork in the Road will go from strength to strength. Absolutely loved it.

1  Thank Fairenough_63
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

So, it's taken me a few weeks pondering over weather to write a review on this.
But, I do deem it to be fair to do so.

We had gone for a bit to eat here on a Wednesday evening around 5:00, the restaurant was very quiet at this point with a 1 top, and 2x 2tops. So very quiet for what is a rather large restaurant.

There was clearly visible around 30+ tables. We were greeted by a young woman who's first words were 'have ya' booked' (me we hadn't as is was a Wednesday evening before 5) our answer was no, she the. Said 'we have no tables' to which I laughed, she didn't see the funny side of that answer, then immediately said 'you can sit near the window'? .. not sure how this went from no tables to a choice of 2/3 near the front.
Once sat down things did not get any better but much, much worse.
We were sat and give some menus (no drinks menu, just food menus) .. no question of would you like a drink etc. She then walked off to never be seen until much later on. 15 minutes later the (who I assume) was the manager, brown haired younger guy, asked if we wanted a drink I ordered a pint, and the good lady asked for a drinks menu, again another 10 minutes had passed and the lady decided to get up and go and request her drink from the bar (as no one came round)
- I should mention at this stage we watch another 2 couples come in and given tables immediately, one of which were sat in another room completely?!
- the gentleman sat by himself had ate his food, had 2 pints and paid his bill by the time I had even ordered my food.
- the 2 ladies next us had ate their food had a 15 minute chat with (who I think was her daughter?/granddaughter) and had their remaining food packed up for taking home.

So once the drink was eventually ordered at the bar, the manager then offered this for free as we had waited so long..
Food was ordered, the lady had the meatballs, I had one of the steaks on the specials that day.
My food was lovely, well presented and piping hot( this is the only reason I could give for a 1 star)
The lady's food was nice, not piping hot, and with some hidden extras shown in the picture, this was a large piece of plastic.
At this point we didn't complain as she had eaten most of it and assumed she wouldn't get any more. After 20 mins of having our food the First Lady had come over and asked how this was, we had mentioned the plastic but made sure she knew we didn't want another one (mainly as we had somewhere to be) - the waitress then went to get the manager, at this point we just said we didn't want to complain but wasn't happy about the piece of plastic.
Once we had finished the manger then cam over to removed the plates and empty glass. No question of would you like another drink or even a desert menu.
The manager returned about 5/10 mins later, sat next to us (which was now a. I have busier restaurant at this point) and the said 'our chef has just ate that plastic it was chorizo skin' ( there was no chorizo in the dish) not only did I find this disgusting, that someone else had ate food that was in my lady's mouth and my mouth. It's absolutely disgusting.
After telling the manager that it was chorizo skin (it was a think plastic, from a container/ vacuum pack of some description) as you can clearly see from the picture. He started raising his voice at me. Which I personally think is completely unacceptable. I asked for the bill which he then said ' we told you, your not paying for it' which I then replied I was more than happy to pay for my food/drink as they were lovely. Again he refused to let us pay anything toward it, so I had left a £20 'tip' to cover the meal and drink. - upon leaving the manager had come back and the said 'I hope you will come back, but I stand by what the chef said'

Beautiful place, food looks lovely. Some of it is.

Service is terrible, don't complain or you'll be shouted at.
Don't expect a quick bite to eat, several hours required for a meal and a few drinks.

Fantastic idea for a restaurant in a busy area, I understand the staff are in training but, personally would say they need to work on their time management and personal skills.
Shame really. Well done to who ever set this up, I hope the issues are ironed out.

3  Thank rich1988
W2165JXandy, General Manager at The Fork In The Road, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Hello Rich. I am very sorry that you didn't have a good experience. \We'll look into this immediately. Please can you tell us exactly when you dined in the restaurant?

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Popped in for tea with a couple of friends. Love the atmosphere and the decor and there's a decent wine list. Unfortunately veggie Thursday not yet available but the choice was still good and 3 fussy eaters ate well! Starters were delicious and the risotto was excellent. Need to come back to try the desserts and the gin list ! Service could be better but friendly enough. Will most defiantly be back it's makes me proud ! Thank you

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We finally came here despite being petrified of having an impromptu photoshoot in the middle of our meal, which seems to be the norm if Facebook is anything to go by.
Ordered the three course Sunday lunch, salt and pepper squid to start, pork dinner main and a ‘brown sugar’ cheesecake for dessert.

The Salt and pepper squid starter was really nice, and I was impressed with the portion size.

The main came and it was gorgeous. It was only after finishing our it we realised the table next to us had been given cauliflower cheese, greens and a small pot of gravy on the side, which we weren’t. I would still recommend the main regardless.

Despite ordering a dessert listed as ‘brown sugar cheesecake’ When it came I was shocked and confused to be met with a mousse like desert in a whisky glass with pineapple and pineapple juice all over it????

One big plus was the staff, excellent and professional throughout. 10/10 for those guys.

Will probably come back, But I’ll probably ask for a thorough description of my food before I order.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member