“Superb authentic Chinese food”
Review of Happy Villa

Happy Villa
Ranked #36 of 332 Restaurants in Middlesbrough
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

My favourite cuisine after travelling for decades in China Hong Kong and Taiwan

The restaurant is now called Golden Star.

You know it’s good when it is packed with Chinese families.

Mr Tai the maitre d’ is friendly and knowledgeable with a dry sense of humour the service is excellent and the surroundings traditional Chinese
Easy parking on Linthorpe Road

Crispy aromatic duck with pancakes is one of the best then choose something from the traditional menu Try Shin Jiang Spicy chicken on the bone historic or the Kung Po prawns in Szechwan spicy sauce. Krispy seaweed is also excellent.
Generous portions and very reasonably priced. Has to be one of the best Chinese restaurants in the north-east.

2  Thank James7001

Reviewed 11 April 2018

We visited Golden Star, which it is now called, on a Tuesday so it was quiet but the food was excellent. The owners of this restaurant were so kind and helpful, lovely people. I have only one criticism and that is the table coverings were not very nice. However, we had some amazing Chinese dishes to share and they were so good.

1  Thank Margaret W
Reviewed 7 March 2018

New name, same great people and food.
A few years on now from my first review and we're still regulars at this outstanding restaurant.
Dare to look at the back of the menu and try some of the things you don't normally find in your run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurant.
Go!

Reviewed 4 January 2018

This restaurant is now the Golden Star we had dinner it was so very authentic Chinese food served by very knowledgeable server/ chef
Delicious food great service
Can't rate it as the click and rate buttons don't work trip advisor!

Reviewed 11 December 2017

In my previous review of Happy Villa, now known as Golden Star, I said this was a restaurant, my mother in law aka Grandma would approve of and I was right.

Dropped in yesterday to find the name had changed and they had an extra menu featuring more traditional Chinese dishes not normally found on the Westernised menu. There ensued a lively discussion about chicken gizzards, pigs intestines and other offal.

The waiter was very attentive and answered all our questions about the dishes we were unsure of and steered Grandma away from the crab and sweetcorn soup because it used crab sticks rather than crab meat. That out of the way, the chicken and sweetcorn soup went down very weil as did the salt and chilli chicken and the salt and chilli ribs.

For mains, the chicken in Tai Wan style was a big hit as was the mixed seafood in clay pot. My daughter really enjoyed her frogs legs which were a bit on the spicy side and the crispy pork belly came up as I expected from my own experiments at home.

My wife has a long memory of a Chinese desert consisting of red bean paste wrapped in pastry and has been looking for it for years. So obviously, the red bean paste dumplings on the menu caught her eye.

There was an initial concern about the dumplings (eyeballs) floating in the bowl, but after pinning one down and tasting it, she declared the red bean paste was spot on although the outer casing was a bit like a thick dim sum.

All in all a success and it gets Grandma's seal of approval.

1  Thank Sabre185