“Disappointing ”

White Horse and Griffin
Ranked #36 of 214 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$64 - US$69
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Booked a night here for a little celebration for my husband's birthday. Couldn't get park anywhere near in Whitby even at 11 am on a rainy morning. So dropped cases in and had to park up at the abbey and walk down. Decided to have lunch here if Fish & Chips while we waited for rain to stop. As expected the fish & chips where good would expect nothing else in Whitby.

On returning to the room about 8.30 on the night to watch a bit of TV and a chill, the TV would not work. So after 3 different members of staff and one and a half hours later of them trying to fix it, I pointed out a black cable they realised this cable should not have been there left by previous guests. By the time they fixed it we had just had enough and wanted to sleep, not much luck with what we assumed was the extractor fan from the kitchen below. Shut all the windows and bathroom door but could still here it. Poor nights sleep with the fan constantly going.

Breakfast was a ok, a little slow but relaxed. I ordered Eggs Benedict, the sauce was runny and filled the plate, not what I expect with this breakfast.

Even though we told the staff about the problems on the evening they did not offer any discount on the price and at £125 a night, we will not be returning as we would like to have a good nights sleep.

1  Thank Onlinebabe
There are newer reviews for White Horse and Griffin

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We only popped in for a gin cocktail so can't comment on the restaurant. The bar area is small but never the less nice and a welcome change from pub life, which pleased my wife. They do have some beers but we had a Damnshame and Rose Duet gin cocktail both of which were very nice and happily repeated. Next time we are up we shall dine there. I'm sure it will be a relief from all the fish and chips as good as they are. Only licensed until 2200hrs I believe so slight disappointment there.

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Outstanding food, high quality and presentation. Limited menu but always something to choose from. Cosy sophisticated restaurant and great service.
Highly recommended

Reviewed 3 July 2017

I'd heard good reports from a friend and have been meaning to try it for a while. The frontage is small but when you walk in it's really small. The bar is short and narrow with some expensive gins on offer. I love a nice G&T but £6.50 is slightly OTT for me. Anyway I asked of we could have a table (it was around 6pm) to be told yes but they'd need the table by 8 pm for a reservation. OK I said, that'll depend on how quickly you can get the food out.

I couldn't resist the Crab Scotch Egg, good job too it was delicious, as was the Belly Pork and my wife's steak.

The restaurant is small with a rather unpleasant view of the side street but it's authentic and the food is well worth it. Yes, we probably will return.

The staff were lovely and polite, give it a try.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

We popped in to warm up after a rainstorm. After a couple of very tasty liquor coffees and a tasty strawberry gin for my wife- we were chatting merrily with staff and the owner.
The next we knew he had brought out a new starter to ask our opinions as it was to be added to their menu. It was sea trout- but such an array of colours and taste was brilliant!
What struck us was that instead of hiding in the dry for a drink- we had been welcomed and entertained! Thanks