“Cold comfort ham”

White Horse and Griffin
Ranked #40 of 214 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$64 - US$69
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Three of us ordered the Roast pork dinner, with cracking and apple sauce. Unfortunately the food arrived merely lukewarm; I sent mine back but my family were too shy to do so. As I got towards the end of the reheated meal, I realised that there was no cracking or apple sauce. I asked the waitress who said "I'm sorry- you should have asked for it." But surely it's advertised as part of the meal??? it's a pity as some of the other bits were nice, once reheated.

There are newer reviews for White Horse and Griffin

Reviewed 21 July 2017

On a short break to Whitby and enticed into The White Horse and Griffin by the selection of Gins on the board outside. The bar is very small and not wheelchair accessible, however very welcoming. The Staff were all very pleasant, we tried a cocktail and then had a meal in the restaurant, it was excellent, wonderful presentation and great flavours . Would definitely recommend a visit if in Whitby.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

With a recommendation from our B and B hosts we set off to the W H and G a table for two in the cosy restaurant began with a feature raspberry and rose gin and tonic and a pint of ice cold draft German lager
With two attentive staff our questions about the various options on the menu were fielded with good grace. Soup and Whitby crab scotch egg for starters were so good then two sirloin steaks cooked to perfection with chunky chips mushroom and onion rings. Room for a sweet poached pear with ice cream and hot apple tartin with vanilla and Wensleydale ice cream.
Topped up the drinks in between and the best three courses for a while.
Great food great service and warm atmosphere made for a superb night. First class from start to finish highly recommended!!

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Booked a night here for a little celebration for my husband's birthday. Couldn't get park anywhere near in Whitby even at 11 am on a rainy morning. So dropped cases in and had to park up at the abbey and walk down. Decided to have lunch here if Fish & Chips while we waited for rain to stop. As expected the fish & chips where good would expect nothing else in Whitby.

On returning to the room about 8.30 on the night to watch a bit of TV and a chill, the TV would not work. So after 3 different members of staff and one and a half hours later of them trying to fix it, I pointed out a black cable they realised this cable should not have been there left by previous guests. By the time they fixed it we had just had enough and wanted to sleep, not much luck with what we assumed was the extractor fan from the kitchen below. Shut all the windows and bathroom door but could still here it. Poor nights sleep with the fan constantly going.

Breakfast was a ok, a little slow but relaxed. I ordered Eggs Benedict, the sauce was runny and filled the plate, not what I expect with this breakfast.

Even though we told the staff about the problems on the evening they did not offer any discount on the price and at £125 a night, we will not be returning as we would like to have a good nights sleep.

1  Thank Onlinebabe
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

We only popped in for a gin cocktail so can't comment on the restaurant. The bar area is small but never the less nice and a welcome change from pub life, which pleased my wife. They do have some beers but we had a Damnshame and Rose Duet gin cocktail both of which were very nice and happily repeated. Next time we are up we shall dine there. I'm sure it will be a relief from all the fish and chips as good as they are. Only licensed until 2200hrs I believe so slight disappointment there.