“Nice food service slow”
Review of The Go Down

The Go Down
Reserve with OpenTable
The Go Down is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 951 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$19 - US$48
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Nice selection of food and drink on the menu. Food was lovely and the staff were very pleasant. Improvement needed in service. Slow to take orders but when order was taken food came quickly. Would have had a desert and more drinks but took so long to come back after taking away plates we decided to just pay and go. Bit more organisation of the waiting staff needed and they would have it made. If you’ve an evening to enjoy relaxing and chatting this is a good place to eat but not if you’ve something to go to after.

1  Thank AdamSte
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Made a reservation online following looking at other Tripadvisor reviews.

Upon arrival the place was bustling with atmosphere, I could sense that this place was going to be good before I had even sat down. The service here is impeccable but not only that, the food here is superb.

I admit, seeing a Yorkshire Pudding in Gravy as a starter raised my eyebrow. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that as a starter and usually I am not so sure I would recommend – but it completely worked for me!

Choosing the Duck as the main course I found that the duck simply melted off the bone cleanly – for me it takes a really special chef to cook duck in this way, no fighting to get the meat off the bone here, it just simply dropped off the bone. The meal was simply outstanding; my girlfriend also had the same, she felt her portion was a lot larger than mine but she didn’t mind and nor did I, because what she couldn’t finish I managed to! The duck was so good I couldn't get enough of it.

Desserts here are incredible – I asked for the Ice Cream and I managed to get seven in one bowl! I wasn’t complaining here because I absolutely love Ice Cream and the more the merrier, but this thing was gargantuan. I ended the night feeling super-full but more than satisfied.

Overall, this three course meal with a bottle of Red Wine came to just over £70 (via the Fixed Price Menu) and was worth absolutely every penny. Having never visited York before this was a truly superb restaurant and is very easy to recommend.

2  Thank Razzastuta
Reviewed 29 March 2018

We visited here on a Sunday evening on the strength of the previous reviews on Tripadvisor - we were not disappointed!
Lovely cosy restaurant, great service, excellent food which was well presented and good value for money. We will definitely be returning next time we are in York.
I had the chicken breast and the sticky toffee pudding and my partner the duck leg with the Yorkshire pudding for starter; on top of that a complimentary loaf with oil and balsamic vinegar was thrown in - it was all delicious!

1  Thank muppet46
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing little restaurant serving top class food, excellent service and lovely meal , Black Pudding starter was lovely and steak cooked perfect. Reasonable prices. Will visit again when we return to York

1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Visited with a group of work friends to celebrate the retirement of two colleagues. Through our error half the group arrived an hour later than the table booking. The staff couldn't have been more understanding. Service throughout was excellent and we all thoroughly enjoyed the food -nicely presented, hot and plentiful. Looking forward to visiting again!

1  Thank Trish H