1,965 results
All reviews tuck box beautiful hotel garden room train station chapter house elemis toiletries junior suite hot buffet leisure facilities birthday treat public areas main building lounge area no air con car park steam room hotel restaurant
Reviewed 12 November 2018

I chose this hotel as a birthday treat to me and was not disappointed . Location, food and customer care were all excellent. The room was spacious and located on the first floor above the reception. The interior was classy as seen on other photographs. My requests were granted which made my stay less stressful. The breakfast room was light and airy and the food choices vast. Sadly I ate too much. Paying for parking in the grounds meant less mobility issues for me. I enjoyed my birthday treat.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lyn b
THarrisonGM, General Manager at The Principal York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear lyn b

Fantastic to read your delight with your birthday treat and thank you for your review of your Principal experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2018 via mobile

We came across this hotel through a google search for afternoon tea on a whim on Sunday afternoon and what a fantastic treat it was. The hotel itself along with the decor is beautiful and the gentleman waiting on in The Garden Room was very courteous, cheerful & efficient.
The sandwiches and cakes were lovely as were the teas and coffees, just a few too many but can't complain.

I must also say that we checked out the price of the hotel rooms whilst we were here as we have unfortunately been very disappointed with the hotel we were staying in up the road and got rather envious when we discovered this place. We will definetly try to book a stay here when we are next in York. Couldn't recommend more.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ollyjc986
THarrisonGM, General Manager at The Principal York, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2018

Dear ollyjc986

Sounds like you had a fantastic time at The Principal York enjoying Afternoon Tea in our Garden Room setting.

We value your feedback and recommendation and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 November 2018

Have to say I have stayed in lots of hotels in York and this by far is the most luxurious and although not the cheapest it’s a case of you pay for what you get, room spotless bed huge and very comfy, nice to have wide screen tv in both lounge and bedroom, bathroom excellent.
If your looking for something special look no further

Room tip: Cathedral view outstanding
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Ross M

Fantastic to read you had a luxurious stay with us and enjoyed your Principal experience.

Please come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2018

The hotel is very easy to find, literally walk off platform 2 into the hotel. My sister and I had booked a room to spoil ourselves after a tough year. Reception was very impressive with attentive staff, we arrived around 12 and pleasantly surprised that our room was ready. We were on the 3rd floor which again the corridors were impressive, however we were really really disappointed in our room, it was so tiny there was a double bed, but it was a very small double. We loved the tuck box and the fresh milk in the fridge, there were Elemis toiletries in the bathroom and a good hairdryer iron and ironing board. Although the roo. Was so small not sure you could have stood an ironing board up. In the evening the room was cold and we rang for assistance, first time we rang the call was not answered. We rang again later and an engineer was sent who fixed the problem. We had a coffee in the Garden room, however it took an awful long time to get any service, there was a wedding in the hotel but it was clear there was not enough staff to deal with demand. Breakfast was buffet style with cereals and cooked breakfast available, we had to wait in a queue to be seated again the hosts were not always visible and people seemed to queue and wait to be acknowledged. I requested poached eggs which were served on toast and were cooked to my liking, however observing the room there was a lot of guests asking for bowls, plates, bacon, sausages there seemed to be lack of control/managing guests requirements. We used the pool and spa facilities and the young lady on duty provided excellent service, the changing rooms have no private spaces which was a disappointing however the pool sauna steam room and jacuzzi were good. The bar was always busy but we were able to sit and enjoy a drink Iin comfortable surroundings. Excellent public areas, service needs review and based on our room we did not get value for money

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank hughesclan2017

Dear hughesclan2017

Thank you for your review where I am pleased to read our location was ideal for your visit and you found time to enjoy the hotel's public areas and leisure club.

There are no excuses for the shortfalls in service you experienced and following guest feedback we are carrying out intensive re-training with our team, as these are not our expected standards.

We value all feedback and appreciate your honest comments.

Warm regards

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

We went to this hotel this morning with family for tea/coffee prior to the remembrance service...and just couldn’t get served!! No one around - asked 2 or 3 times for service and nothing came - the thing was that we also have Sunday lunch booked here for the whole family and so that had now been cancelled (if they can’t come up with a cup of tea at 10am what chance a decent Sunday lunch) - we are now going to the Cedar Court Grand across new the road for lunch!! Very poor.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank FoodieDYork

Dear FoodieDYork

I am saddened to read of your disappointment due to the shortfalls in service you experienced, and please let me assure you that I will be reviewing your comments with the Food & Beverage Manager as these are not our expected standards.

I sincerely hope that we can welcome you again in the near future.