“lovely food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Visited on Saturday night on 31-3-2018
Pub looks a little drab from the outside, but it was a wet march evening, so may look better during the summer. Parking is on the street outside, with only 3 disabled spaces on the premises.
Inside the place looks nicer, light and modern with comfortable seats in the lounge and a large terrace area, which would be pleasant during nice weather.
The Staff are pleasant enough, but fairly young and not over experienced.
One problem with looking at the menu online, before you visit can be finding an item from the menu missing on the night, which we found,with one dish, but we did find other dishes to our liking.
Now we come to the food, which was very good indeed. The chef prepares food that looks great on a plate. It is delicious and the meals are put together with ingredients that make a very pleasant experience. The meals seem just right, in size and taste. They produce the sort of food that leaves a lovely taste in the mouth that excites the taste buds, even after the meal is finished.
We had the crispy squid and crispy pig to start with the Chile salted haddock and braised blade of beef for mains. No need for added sauces or condiments with this food, it was perfect. The vegetables were cooked just how I like them, firm but not tender and not hard, which can be the case in some restaurants.
With drinks the cost was £59 for two people, we didn’t have deserts as we were full after the mains.
We would like to revisit sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My brother decided that this was where he wanted to go for his birthday meal. Well I have got to say great choice. We go there quite a bit for drinks and it’s always got a great atmosphere, but I’ve never eaten there. Well that will change, the food we had was beautiful so tasty and very very filling. I had pigeon and black pudding to start, neither of which I’d had before, absolutely gorgeous then the supreme of chicken again wow so very very tasty. Everyone really enjoyed there food. I would definitely recommend this place especially for a special occasion,

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Was my first visit but my either half has been before when it first opened.
Was very optimistic when reading the menu online, only to find that some things weren’t on the printed menu I was given once I’d arrived so needed to pick something else.
We first were asked what drinks we wanted before we had even sat down so really wasn’t ready and ended up asking for a Diet Coke, but once it arrived it was regular coke and had to get it changed.
We ordered olives and bread to start, and once they arrived we were told she would just pop to get some cocktail sticks and they never came so ended up eating the olives with a fork, then when the starter was taken away, all the breadcrumbs were tipped onto my lap.
Onto the mains, food was presented well and was asked if we wanted any sauces. I asked for mayonnaise and the waiter came back with ketchup, put it on the table and left. It then took us 5 minutes to get the attention of someone to then get this changed.
The food was nice during the meal but the service was just a bit rubbish. Since coming home both of us felt a bit off and unwell and are thinking as we both had chicken in our dinners it may have been that, but we can’t be sure.
Really won’t be coming again as for a date night it’s not what you want when trying to enjoy yourself.

4  Thank Emily-Grace S
thefourpears, Front Office Manager at The Four Pears, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

I'm very sorry that your experience of the Four Pears was a poor one, and can only apologize as it fell well below our standard levels of service in lots of ways and well below what you have a right to expect. Staff have been spoken to and your comments taken on board.

With regard to our online menu, we do make occasional changes and despite our best efforts these don't always make their way onto our website on time, however as all our food is freshly prepared we do reserve the right to change our menu as necessary,as it is may not always be possible to get the right ingredients at the price.

I am sorry that you felt unwell after your meal, however I can assure you that our kitchen staff take every precaution to ensure that all of our food is prepared and cooked to exacting standards and temperature probed and recorded.

We do sincerely hope that you will return to us at some point in the future so that you can experience the four pears as it should be.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We love coming here, always warm and welcoming. Food is delicious. They let dogs in as well, so always a bonus, and a lovely roaring fire.

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

This is probably my fifth visit but the first time I have been in the evening.
All other visits for lunch have been really very good but this one wasn’t as good.
We had a table at the back of which the location was very nice but the table wobbled so extremely that we nearly lost our drinks. It made me jump out of my skin.
We moved along to the next table and mentioned it to the waiter who told us the floor was uneven and was going to be fixed shortly.
Why did the waitress sit us there then? There were only two other parties in, plenty of tables available.

I had the sticky beef which I’d had previously but it wasn’t as good as before. Very stewed and heavy.
Partner had blade of beef which he enjoyed.
The service was friendly but not peppy - I didn’t get the feeling that there was anyone there in charge.
Please keep on top of your restaurant guys and don’t let the quality slip as I’ve enjoyed having this place up my sleeve for visits with friends and family.
Previous lunch visits would have scored an excellent.

1  Thank carliepie