“Most decadent and delicious meal I've ever had in a restaraunt”

The Josephine Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 120 Restaurants in Hexham
Reviewed 19 August 2016

Obviously my mother's cooking surpasses anything served here by a large margin, but this is the most decadent and delicious meal I've ever had (in a restaraunt). My family of four enjoyed a three-course dinner and a breakfast here, and this opinion was echoed over every plate.

I enjoyed the parmesan starter with granola and beetroot, lamb main with mash and the apple dessert that I cannot even describe - it was the most incredible taste I've ever experienced (in a restaraunt, mother).

My entire family and I highly recommend this restaraunt.

Reviewed 13 August 2016

I have long wanted to stay or at least dine in a castle, and this trip saw the dream come true. A night at the Josephine Restaurant where the whole dining experience was amazing. Great staff, great food (set 3 course menu, but the choices for each course were extensive and varied) and a fabulous ambience that includes suits of armour, tapestries and great wooden doors.
We were sat in one of the window alcoves and we got to watch the peacocks perform outside.
Great wheelchair access, should you require it.

1  Thank medievalscot
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Dining here is quite a grand experience, as the hotel is based in a castle which was built in the 1300s and is has some elements of mediaeval style.
The pre-dinner drinks are served in the upstairs drawing room which is very richly decorated with beautiful drapes and very comfortable sofas, however the main dining room is back downstairs and just doesn't quite live up to the expectations given by the drawing room.
Dinner is from a Table d'hote menu priced at about £40 ahead, plus a service charge, with no other options, and I found quite a limited choice.
I was also surprised to find foie gras on the menu as I imagined that most decent places have stopped serving this horrible product.
The main courses included duck or pigeon, but no chicken and a limited vegetarian choice.
The food itself was fine, very well presented but tiny portions so actually it's very expensive for what it is, not a place to go if you are hungry.
My client preferred the next day to go to the local pub for dinner!

I ordered the cheese which had a supplement of £8 which was a ridiculous price for five tiny pieces of cheese one of which was actually no bigger than a postage stamp. No bread was served, but a strange collection of malt cake and spiced crackers which did not complement the cheese selection.

However there was a very good choice of wine, good selection at a variety of prices. I had asked for a separate wine to be served with each course but twice I had to remind the waiter after my food had been brough that I was still waiting for the wine. This did not seem like very good service.
Price for two including wine was over £160

Reviewed 25 July 2016

We can't stop telling people how good this restaurant is. With an excellent new chef this year, the food is matched by extremely professional waiting staff. having eaten in a number of Michelin star restaurants, this is not only up there, but exceed most.

Reviewed 1 July 2016

Dined in the restaurant on both evenings of our recent stay. On booking you are asked to be in the drawing room on the 1st floor around 20 mins prior to make you choices and be served your canapés. On each evening a different selection was served. The wine list is extensive but with a range of good affordable options,both by the glass and bottle; the Chilean Merlot was a good choice.
The room itself is on the ground floor, ornate and atmospheric. There are tables for two set into alcoves and window recesses along with tables in the "body" of the room.
Our choices over the 2 nights included for starters; foie gras - served with cherries to cut the richness, pigeon, scallops - which were particularly good, served with asparagus, cured ham and a lemon dressing. Mains we had included; Hake - crispy skin and accompanied by a lovely creamy tarragon scented sauce, stone bass, rabbit and the lamb - perfectly cooked, pink and moist.
The desserts are very good so leave room!
The Tart is light and not too filling, the Brulee has a superb strawberry "soup", The Chocolate, rich and smooth but our star was the fantastic take on Apple crumble, trust me, you must try it.

Good food accompanied by really professional, friendly service at very reasonable prices for this standard, You will pay a lot more for this standard in Edinburgh or Newcastle.