“Nice old pub in great location ”
Review of The White Horse

The White Horse
Ranked #59 of 686 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$4 - US$4
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the City sandwiched between Blackwells Bookstore and opposite the Sheldonian Theatre. A grade two listed building dating back to the 16th century. Famous for our Fish and Chips. Also famous for filming of Inspector Morse in the 1980's and more recently 'Lewis' and the new 'Endeavour' Real ales and traditional home cooked food makes us a must visit when you are in Oxford.We are not a gastro pub or restaurant, we are a great British Pub with Great pub food and drink. Open every day 12 till 11pm. Food all day till 9pm Please note Sunday closing 10pm
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It’s a classic traditional pub - old wooden panelling, cosy and quaint. Nice bar area - decent range of local and other beers. Didn’t know eat so can’t comment on food. It’s on Broad Street, so right in the centre - opposite the Sheldonian. Nice place to stop for a quick drink if you can get a table and escape the hordes !

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was looking forward so much to eating and having a pint in this pub because of its relationship with Morse and having read some pretty good reviews. What a disappointment, what a waste of money on the food. Set in a wonderful location and boasts from the great and the good who have visited, I was bitterly disappointed.
What can go wrong when you order scampi and chips, not much you say, but, if you value your hard earned cash have a sandwich maybe! my wife and I, for a special occassion, went to Oxford for the day, well worth visiting I must stress but we expected more here, Dirty Tables and on inspection v.dirty cutlery. Staff very friendly and helpful, surroundings and artefacts as you would expect for somewhere so famous, just apity the food was not up to the same calibre, Scampi and chips a straight forward and pub menu favorite, famous pub or not, BUT not here! Our meal arrived, on first taste, accompanying garden peas "Stone Cold" ...all "9" chips, yes you read me correctly "9" luke warmchips,...... scampi...well something must have gone wrong in the frier. I received what looked like 11 pieces of scampi in a little wire basket...nice touch.....only eight pieces had scampi...3 just batter...1 was cold, maybe it was the one which got away and was found in the fridge for fear of being eaten,,,,,the rest had the tinyest of scampi filling it wasnt worth the bother coating it. Am I being picky....Nah...its my money I pay with and I expect better, wether its a McDonalds or a 5 star I expect what I pay for to be fit for purpose,........this folks was utter ***p. And talking of which please do not use the loo here, bring a bag, a bucket or a port a loo but stay out of the loo. Wellies for the men...ladies use your imagination. All in all, a serious and major disappointment, not acceptable in this day and age when rules laws and regulations exist. 1 point for surroundings, 1 point for waitress who was really good. Food, value for money and hygene minus 5!! sorry guys!

1  Thank David L
Jacqueline P, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello

Quite a lengthy review which I’m confused as to why you did not say anything on the day! We don’t bite. Far from it. Our very approachable manager or staff would have dealt with this immediately and changed or added to your dish.

I can only apologise but still would have liked the opportunity to have dealt with this on the day instead of quite a scathing review.

With regards to the toilets again could have been dealt with but actually don’t really know what you are saying to be honest. Were they flooded? I really can’t respond with this issue as I have not had any feedback from Staff or customers. Again a word with Staff or Manager could have been dealt with.

I will check with Staff over the past few days (presuming it was two/three days ago)

If by chance you would give us another chance I would like to invite you back with the meals on the house please email me whitehorseox1@btopenworld.com. Where I can give you a voucher

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very traditional little pub. It was busy when we went on a Saturday. Really nice friendly staff & atmosphere. We did get a seat and enjoyed a little tipple or two! Lots of Morse & Lewis decor.

Jacqueline P, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello thank you so much for your review please come back soon

Reviewed 18 February 2018

stopped here for a pint but wish we had not already eaten as the food looked great. Big links with Morse from the TV. Good selection of beer and really cosy.

Thank you very much for the kind review

Yes our food is home cooked our pies are all butter pastry with chunky beef, spinach and feta or chicken ham and mushroom

Come back soon

Reviewed 17 February 2018

We would have gone here anyway, because of its historic architecture and association with Morse and Lewis. Because of its hours and location, we linked our visit to our 8pm tickets at the Sheldonian, which is right across the street. We were able to duck in early for excellent fish and chips and raise a pint to our favorite Oxford detectives.

Jacqueline P, Owner at The White Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

Hello

Thank you so much for the kind review please come back soon