Rewley House
  • Room Service
Royal Oxford Hotel(Oxford)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswellington squarecontinuing educationuniversity accommodationclarendon stmain buildingpretty squarestandard single roomtop floorcommon roomtwin bedscomfortable accommodationcity centreroom was cleanbig bathroomexcellent locationyour luggagequiet at night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 December 2016

I needed to book a night in Oxford at the last minute recently, and was very pleasantly surprised by this accommodation.
It is located in a beautiful, residential part of Oxford, where you can imagine families living happily, old fashioned streetlamps, etc.It's a different feel to the rush and crowd of central Oxford.
Reception is situated within the college, and as such it all has a very "studenty" feel.
I was given the apartment on the second floor, which consisted of one spacious bedroom, a corridor, a bathroom, and a lovely kitchen/ sitting area.It has a good sized fridge, TV, oven and microwave. As it's clear they use the apartment for storing supplies, I had unlimited little cartons of UHT milk, soap, towels and sachets of tea and coffee.
I really didn't want to leave! So I put my PJ's on and self- catered that night. Lovely to have that choice.
One niggle: The boiler in the kitchen is very noisy. I nearly jumped out of my skin a couple of times! Also, instructions are needed for the oven. It went from tepid for ages to eyeball melting heat when I removed my pasta ready meal. Where was I going wrong, I wonder? maybe it's just an old model.....
Never mind. I enjoyed my night there. I found a useful short-cut to the shops, etc. The Ashmolean is literally moments away.
Absolute treat.

Room Tip: The apartment would work for a couple who like to self cater
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 December 2016

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. We paid over £115 per night for out room midweek. The hotel was very well located. We walked everywhere. The Wi-Fi was ok. The hotel is old fashioned but that would be ok if the service had been good.

However, the service was awful, repeatedly.

They double booked our room and gave the key to another guest who walked in. No apology from the hotel until I called them to complain when another person attempted to come in.

Maintenance pushed passed me to come into the room one day while I was working to repair some random holes in one of the walls, despite my having the do not disturb sign up. He insisted reception had told me and wouldn't leave.

Bedside lamps are fixed to the head board, and open up above the pillow so they really can't be used for reading.

Room was not very clean as per the examples in the pictures. I did not notice until leaving that there was blood dried on the duvet at the end where the cover closes. It would be really hard not to see that while changing the covers.

Breakfast room: We were given out by a staff member one day for sitting at a table because it was not set up for breakfast, even though the breakfast tables were all taken when we sat down. The table we sat at did not have a reserved sign even though others did. It was totally inappropriate to be spoken to like that.

Really disappointed given the cost of this hotel.

Room Tip: I recommend that you don't stay here
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank Sarahjma
Reviewed 21 November 2016

Rewley house is located in the city centre, 10 mins easy walk from the bus and train station. It is an old, brick house that will make you feel like a young student.
Reception is located at Wellington sq 1, and is open from 8 o'clock in the morning. Reception staff is extremely nice and helpful, they have an answer to any question about the city, restaurants, problems with printer and small hickups with organizing your accommodation. CHECK IN STARTS AFTER 12:30, but it is possible to leave your luggage in a luggage room (locked). The rooms are located all over Wellington sq. My room was on the top floor of house No 37. The house has an elevator, so dragging the bags up was not a problem. The room is big and has a lovely view onto old roofs of the city. Unfortunately it also has an ugly carpet all over. The bathroom is very big, with a bathtub, sink, toilet and a mirror. There are also soaps and hair shampoo. There is a hair dryer in a drawer in the room, but there is no electricity plug in the bathroom. So if you want to dry your hair, you'll need to do it in the room, without a mirror.
Some towels were either old or stained.
Apart from a twin bed, there is also a desk with a chair, and arm chair and a wardrobe in the room. Beds are a bit small and covers a bit short if you are taller than 175 cm. The place is warm and dry. Breakfast is served as of 8 o'clock in the main building, and is a mix of traditional British food (poached eggs, bacon, toast, tea, pastry) and healthy options (yoghurt, nuts, fruits). Luch is amazing, and deserts wonderful. There is also a common room with coffee, books and newspapers in the main building.
Two restaurants (Italian, French) and one deli in the vicinity are quite ok, I found the menu in the Italian restaurant (Carluccio) exciting (not boring old pasta). If you want to eat before 8, it is not possible, but if you want to check ot, just drop. you key in the mail box. Widi seems to be stable and fast.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2016

We've stayed at Rewley House before so booked again. This time a very poor experience. The room was too hot, the room safe had been left shut by the previous occupants and the alarm sounded when we attempted to open it, the breakfast was poor, and the shower had miserable water pressure.

Breakfast was poor having paid for a full English there was no bacon available. It arrived after I'd had to eat food before it congealed on my plate! The staff were inattentive and did not keep a check on food levels.

Check out was slow, poorly staffed and the woman on the desk was trying to do too many tasks. She swore when the till wouldn't work, the left luggage was full and the guests seemed to be of secondary importance to the people arriving to attend a Saturday course. Rewley House seem to be tying to do too much with too few people. It was a dismal experience on this occasion and I won't be returning.

Room Tip: No floors are quiet. All rooms are subject to the noise of student neighbours partying until the early hours. Top floor room stifling.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue E
Reviewed 10 November 2016

My bf and I stayed for one night. When we arrived the receptionist was arrogant, but rest of stuff was decent. The room was clean and cosy with all amenities included, but can hear when people where walking in the corridor.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple