“Italian Food The Way It should Be”

Gino's Spaghetti House
Ranked #79 of 713 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Once again my wife and I are travelling around the UK and this time we decided to visit Oxford. I have submitted some other reviews of Oxford restaurants and places of interest, so check them out you might be glad you did.

This review is about Gino's Spaghetti House which takes some finding if you are not familiar with Oxford, but it is well worth the effort to get there. I enjoyed my favourite Italian meal of Minestrone Soup plus Veal Milanese with Spaghetti Bolognaise. My wife ordered the same soup with Pollo Cacciatore and Rice. I also enjoyed some great house wine served in a carafe, which is something very few restaurants seem to want to do these days.

The food was excellent, with good size portions and the service was slick and friendly. The bill at the end was very reasonable.

In summary a great little Italian restaurant. The only disappointment for me was that they did not play any Dean Martin songs. I love them!

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Delicious authentic food. Great staff. Value for money. Been going here since 2000. Always great. Worth seeking this place out

Reviewed 22 March 2018

My friend and I went for dinner last night. I ordered a glass of house red (which was the worst glass of house red I've had for a long time) and my friend had tap water.
We ordered some fried whitebait to start which wasn't very fresh and tasted a bit off.
For mains, we ordered a funghi pizza and a black crab ravioli in cherry tomato sauce to share. The pizza was very dry and rock hard, and tasted like frozen supermarket pizzas you can get in Tesco's. The black crab ravioli was the only remotely edible dish we had the whole meal.
Didn't bother with the dessert menu and left super disappointed. Do not understand why this place has so many good reviews at all!

1  Thank Ching L
Reviewed 11 March 2018

My friend and I went to her favourite Italian restaurant in Oxford, Gino's, before Mark Steel at the Oxford Playhouse. Fortunately I had looked at the menu before I left home and my friend went with her normal of lasagne and side salad as we were given no time to consult the menus before being asked for our orders. I decided it was impossible to go wrong with the Chef's Special pizza as it was 80 pence more expensive than all the other pizzas and described as 'Everything the chef can put his hands on'.

Five minutes later the waiter walked past and left a can of drink and glass on the table which I knew wasn't mine because I had asked for a jug of tap water as I was driving. When he next walked past I said that wasn't my drink as I hadn't ordered it. He moved it to a couple who were two tables away.

Next to arrive was our food. My friend's lasagne and side salad looked lovely and were delicious. My pizza in contrast had a lot of burnt pepperoni slices on it with the middle 25% of the slices being pink pepperoni and the remaining 75% being burnt charcoal I consider to be inedible. When the waiter next came past I picked up the pizza and said I regarded it as being burnt and I would be annoyed with myself if I let that come out of the oven at home. He said he would get the manger. There was a delay of three minutes and the manger arrived. Again I picked up the pizza and said I would be embarrassed if I cooked a pizza like that at home. He explained that as the air in the oven is so hot and the pepperoni slices are raised they get burnt and nobody else had previously complained. I said I wouldn't be eating the pizza and he apologised.

My friend and I assumed that a new pizza was being prepared for me. Ten minutes went by and the manger came to check that everything was OK. Given that my meal had sat in front of me uneaten for 15 minutes, there was no chance whatsoever that I would have paid for it. We asked where my replacement pizza was and the manager apologised as he hadn't realised I wanted a replacement one and had said that I wouldn't be charged for the pizza I had received. The manager said they would prepare a new pizza for me, but I pointed out that we had deliberately booked a table at 6pm as we had to be in the theatre by 7.30pm and as it was now 6.40pm I would rather not bother.

Five minutes later the manager returned to say my friend's lasagne would be free and that the chef would quickly prepare me a new pizza, but I pointed out it was too late now. He then returned five minutes later with dessert menus asking us if there was anything from there we would like, but by that point my friend was so embarrassed she just wanted to get out of there so left £10 to cover her glass of house white (£3.95) and we went and stood outside the Oxford Playhouse for 20 minutes as the reception bar area was rammed.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Not a very good experience at all, Appalling Tasteless Food. On a plus note we enjoyed a Great Bottle of Wine!
Back to Jamie's next time.