Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$66
View deal
Expedia.comUS$80
Hotels.comUS$80
PricelineUS$66
eDreamsUS$66
TravelocityUS$80
CheapTicketsUS$80
All reviews hallamshire hospital wet room hospital visit botanical gardens my mum city centre an overnight stay wedding venue
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 August 2021

Booked Exec Room for weekend, arrived late in the evening and told we were in a lovely room (obviously to try make us think we were in the room we booked and paid for, I'm sure there's a scam name for that). The "Lovely Room" happened to be up a rat run of corridors and lots of stairs to the attic! After the first night I asked Reception to check if I was in the correct room, to which I was asked "why is there something wrong with the room". Wrong? It's not an Exec Room which I have paid for. I then discovered we had been put in a standard room, as apparently they had a leak (more like double booked). No-one told us there was problem on arrival, they just HOPED we would have continued our stay in a standard room, while paying for the Exec Room, without any offer of a refund for the downgrade. I did ask the Manager "Exactly when were you going to tell us that we were not in the room we had booked & paid for". He did apologise (rightly so) and said he tried to email but it bounced back (really!!) and offered a £20 refund for the first night (£20, I should have been compensated more for the lies and deception, this refund should have been offered on arrival, not on my second day after questioning the room we were in). They had my mobile but didn't ring that and what is wrong with decent face to face honesty upon arrival and offering the appropriate refund for the downgrade there and then? We were moved to the Exec room for the 2nd night thanks to the lady on reception, who was helpful and sorted out for us. Put aside the total and deliberate dishonesty, it's a very tired looking hotel, it wasn't a mattress on the bed, was a big block of hard sponge (and that was even in the Exec Room). Breakfast wasn't up to much either, don't pay attention to the nice breakfast photos online, must be from days gone by, we didn't even bother with breakfast on 2nd morning even though we paid for it, wished I hadn't bothered paying for it at all, there are plenty of nice cafes in the area. Definitely not 4 star, 2 at a very big push! Should have gone to Travel Lodge or Premiere Inn, so errrr don't even ask if we would go there again....what do you think???

Date of stay: August 2021
Joe Caira, Guest Services / Front Office at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2021

Dear Guest,

I am extremely apologetic regarding the issues you have faced.

I wouldn't like to think that any of the staff, including my self are dishonest. We all make mistakes from time to time, and this is one of those occasions, we did send you an email and I can only apologise about not calling you to reassure you as well.

While I understand your reasons for being Upset, the situation was resolved by one of my members of staff and you were moved to an executive double the next day and issued a refund for the difference for the first night.

Regarding the Hotel Rating, we are not a 4* Hotel and we do not claim to be one either. we are an independently Run hotel and this means we are not reflected by the contemporary starring system.

I will pass your comments onto the Maintenance team.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 August 2021 via mobile

Do not book this hotel. So noisy and people coming in and out of nearby hotel doors all hours of the night. People shouting and talking. Have found out they use this hotel for homeless people while waiting for them to be housed! Dodgy people hanging around outside when we checked out this morning! STAY AWAY

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Sharon,

Thankyou for your review.

During the weekend you stayed we had a festival taking place in Sheffield, hence why the Hotel was extremely busy and lively. The guests who were loud, were asked to be quieter and keep any behaviour not deemed appropriate to end.

While I appreciate your concerns, since the easing of restrictions we have not housed any Homeless individuals.

We are in no position to judge any of our guests who stay with us and i could not comment or no would I want too on your comment of 'dodgy people'.

We accept your comments and we will always strive to better.

Apologies for the issues you faced during your stay.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 15 August 2021

Only stayed the one night.

Young guy on reception was very friendly and welcoming and explained all clearly and quickly and even booked us a taxi for the evening.

Car parking was a nightmare in the front hotel car park, plenty of places but very small and if I had parked between any of the other cars I could not have got out of the car!

So top tip is go directly to the rear carpark in Bloomfield Street.

Getting to the room was a bit of a journey as its a labyrinth of stairs and corridors.

Room was large, clean and comfortable as was the bathroom, plenty of tea and coffee stuff and even some bottled water.

Were disturbed by noise of other guests in the early hours but not the fault of the hotel.

Parking costs £5 for 24 hours from when you arrive which was good as in the morning we checked out and headed to the Botanical gardens 5 minutes walk away for breakfast.

Room tip: Use the car park at the rear off Bloomfield Road
Date of stay: August 2021
Joe Caira, Guest Services / Front Office at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2021

Thankyou for your lovely review! Please do come and stay with us again soon

Reviewed 11 August 2021

From the original booking over the phone to our actual 3 night stay, we found the staff (particularly Jo on reception, the man cooking & serving breakfasts and various cleaning staff that we came across) to be very friendly and professional.
Our visit was due to attending my Dad's funeral and the staff were very kind & supportive towards us.
We stayed in the Dainton Suite and it was perfect for our family needs with 2 separate bedrooms, 2 ensuite showers and a shared bathroom.
Breakfast was delicious!
Whilst the restaurant is not yet open for evening meals, this wasn't a problem for us as we were out quite a lot visiting family. That aside though, I understand that there are various restaurants nearby.
All in all though, despite the sad circumstances for our visit, it was a most enjoyable stay!

Room tip: We had the Dainton Suite, which is excellent for families as it has 2 separate bedrooms connected by a hallway.
Date of stay: August 2021

Thankyou so much for this lovely review!

Your kind words will mean so much to myself and the team, I will pass these on. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 June 2021 via mobile

Excellent friendly family style hotel. Bar not open but bottled beer available.
The rooms very very clean with lots of clean towels
Excellent staff on the reception on arrival and departure .The service and food was excellent with a full cooked breakfast a super treat!
We have this hotel a few times whilst our daughter has been at university and always found it excellent value for money.

Room tip: Short brisk walk to the city centre
Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Joe Caira, Guest Services / Front Office at The Rutland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2021

Hi Jean, great to hear from you! Thank-you for leaving us such a fantastic review. I'll be sure to let the whole reception team know that your appreciated their kind service.

We are also really happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast with us as we haven't had lots of feedback on our new breakfast service so we really appreciate the comments made!

We hope to see you soon, The Entire Team at The Rutland Hotel.