MacDonald Bath Spa Hotel
  • Room Service
US$129
US$125
Agoda.com
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa(Hinton Charterhouse)
US$181
US$169
Agoda.com
Harington's City Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$97
  • Room Service
The Abbey Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$99
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Bath(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$106
Dukes Hotel(Bath)(Great Value!)
US$118
Official Site
4,808 results
All reviewsice roomimperial suitevellore restaurantsalt roomoutdoor poollovely hotelbath spaon arrivalcooked breakfastmolton brown toiletriesspecial occasionbirthday treatrelaxing staycar parkafternoon teacity centrefour poster bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 February 2016

Stayed one Saturday night,wish it could have been more but hotel is a bit expensive but it was really really lovely . Spa brilliant device was great as was our room ! Love to come back but shall have to wait a little while to save up

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BathSpaHotel, Operations Manager at MacDonald Bath Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2016

Dear leandagorman,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel,

It was really lovely to hear that you had a great one night stay with us that you enjoyed the Spa facilities

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Best wishes and kind regards,

Reviewed 15 February 2016

We have stayed here several times before but this was worst service ever. It took over 30 minutes to get checked in as the staff seemed to enjoy endless chatting to guests despite an ever growing queue of people waiting to check in.

The door staff refused to help simply saying they were not on reception (despite there being three of them with nothing to do)

Eventually James came to the rescue and opened another check in desk

Outdoor spa pool also not open in the morning

Breakfast good as always.

Dear Jim S,

I was really sorry to learn that on staying with us on this occasion we failed to live up to your expectations and that you encountered shortfalls with the service you received, please accept my apologies for this.

I will discuss your comments with our Front of House Manager who I know would wish to join me in offering their apologies for your disappointment.

I do hope that the shortfalls you encountered during this stay will not prevent you from returning again to the Hotel.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

Stayed on a "Rejuvenate Spa Break" with 3 friends.

The service is very good. Reception friendly and let us check in early, which was very hospitable. To be honest, the facilities themselves could do with a little attention - peeling paint in the lift, stained carpets, etc. I've stayed in better 4*s but the service makes the difference.

The website is unclear on how to arrange your spa break; it says they will phone you to arrange your treatment - they don't! I phoned 4 weeks before and reception told me that the spa was too busy for me to book right then. I phoned 1 week before to discover that my friends and I would have to have treatments at different times. The spa manager was very good and accommodating. On the day, a staff member had called in ill but they were excellent in rearranging appointments. The treatment itself was good (but 20 mins rather than 30mins advertised). The relaxation room was nice afterwards with plenty of herbal tea and water available.

The general spa facilities are a little dated too but perfectly functional. The outside pool was the nicest bit :) but some tiles need replacing and grouting cleaned. All the chairs need their cushions cleaning or replacing. Extras towels should be made available because I don't want to sit on a cold, wet cushion!

The meal included was nice. The bar staff clearly don't understand the glass of prosecco as part of the deal. We were offered two filled glasses and two empty ones for 4 of us... this was corrected but was embarrassing.

The website needs to be clearer about cost of parking.

My room included a coffee machine, but my friends' room didn't. Fresh milk for tea by room service is a nice touch. There was only one set of toiletries for 2 people in our twin room - we both have long hair and showered twice in the 24 hours we were there... could be less stingy with the toiletries?!

Probably wouldn't return (expensive for what it was) but was a nice experience with my friends.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank LittleMissGiggly

Dear LittleMissGiggly,

I was pleased to learn that on the whole you enjoyed your spa break stay at the Hotel and that you felt you had received good service from our team

As delivering the highest standards of service to all our guests is at the heart of our core values I would always welcome your feedback where you feel that this has not been the case. Therefore I was very sorry to hear that were elements within your stay that did not live up to your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies for this.

I will discuss your comments with the relevant Heads of Department who I know would wish to join me in offering their apologies for your disappointment.

I am also sorry that I didn’t have the chance of discussing the shortfalls with you personally so I could have the opportunity of resolving them to your satisfaction during your stay at the Hotel.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

We booked this 2-night break as a Christmas present from my family for me. Our room, a Classic double, was lovely and the marble bathroom really wowed us, although, as always, the tiles over the bath had not been cleaned properly and showed evidence of previous occupants. I have yet to stay anywhere, where the tiles have been cleaned properly. I was very pleased that the bath filled incredibly quickly and the water was piping hot. I was particularly amused that the sound from the TV was piped in there.

I would have preferred a bit more drawer space and perhaps some central heating radiators. We found the air-con system a bit haphazard and woke up quite cold in the night as it had turned itself off.

The hotel is beautifully appointed and we really enjoyed the old-world elegance, particularly in the Vellore Restaurant, a former ballroom. Sadly the food wasn't up to scratch. We had booked a D,B&B deal and chose from quite a limited menu. We didn't really enjoy any of the food although my husband said the steak was fine, but just a steak. There was only a choice of 2 deserts and on the second night, one of the options was plainly a re-hash of the previous two. The meals were nothing better than I would do at home, which was a bit of a shame since they purport to be a 2-rosette restaurant. The service was extremely efficient though, on the whole, albeit that we had to remind one of the servers to fetch our wine after the starter had arrived and request the dessert menu.We were quite amused by a few of the servers scuttling around at great speed with one hand behind their back as if they were wind-up toys.

I would like to point out one member of staff for exemplary service, Jana. She went that extra mile to make our stay an amazing one and treated us like royalty. A complete star.

We didn't book any spa treatments but used the pools twice. The main swimming pool can be quite busy. We came across an aqua-aerobics class one morning but they had cordoned off an area for people to swim. It was quite a challenge as all the jumping around from the enthusiastic ladies produced quite a few waves. This was fine for my husband as he is training for a triathlon and needs to practise swimming in open water!! I retreated to the outdoor thermal pool which was a lovely addition and was most enjoyable, even in February.

The hotel is a short 10 minute walk through Sydney Gardens to the Pulteney bridge. The hotel gardens themselves are also very pleasant and extremely well-tended.

I would certainly recommend this hotel but I would probably go out and eat in town if I stayed again.

Room Tip: Don't know. We had a room at the back overlooking the car park and Spa. Maybe you have to pay more for a room with a view.

Dear Lainepmh,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit a review following your stay at the Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel.

I was really pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel and that you will recommend us to others as a place to stay. Thank you also for your kind comments concerning our staff and the service you received and I will personally pass on your comments to Jana, who I know will be pleased and encouraged by them.

As delivering the highest standards of service to all our guests is at the heart of our core values I would always welcome your feedback where you feel that this has not been the case. Therefore I was very sorry to hear that were elements of your dining experience that did not live up to your expectations,

Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls for this. I will discuss your comments with the Head Chef who I know would wish to join me in offering their apologies for your disappointment.

I look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

We had such a pleasant stay at this wonderful five star hotel

I would definitely go back and recommend the hotel to my friends and family recommend 100%

I have used the Spa facilities during my stay which was an absolute value for money

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank 976maryamz

Dear 976maryamz,

It was lovely to hear that you had a pleasant luxury escape, thought our Hotel was wonderful, that you enjoyed the Spa facilities and also thought they were value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon,