“Wonderful Time”
Review of Redcar Hotel

Redcar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Enjoyed my stay, although was dreading due to all the bad reviews. had a double bedroom, on the ground floor which was more than satisfactory. clean tidy room, clean bathroom with facilities to make tea and coffee :) staff pleasent and friendly as allowed us to keep my car in the car park before we had checked in and after we had checked out, which we were very greatful for. right in town, you dont even notice you cross the river, a truely surperb location, which is value for money.
fire alarm set off in night by a person staying at hotel, as he was drunk, hotel women was not happy at all and appolagised alot. we did not find this inconvinent just amusing as all the hotel was there in their jarmies XD including me :).
would recomend this hotel
breckfast was tasty, and was self service, yet the staff were friendly, and asked if we wanted toast.
Overall had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miss_H_Uk

Reviewed 23 July 2008

Stayed for 1 night in July 08. Terrific location just around the corner from the main street. Walking distance to the railway station. Tiny double room, worn carpet but clean and comfortable. Some reception staff a little disinterested. Breakfast was more than satisfactory. Well priced for the budget traveller. Luggage storage available before and after stay. Would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 July 2008

My Girlfriend booked this hotel for a “cheap” break to Bath as it was one of the few hotels that offered single night bookings.

We paid £85.00 for 1 night B&B, which even allowing for the inflated prices of Bath was exceptional over priced for the “quality” experienced.

We weren’t expecting a lot for £85.00, but the adventure that lay before us was not a tale for those of a nervous disposition!!

The good points

· Nice easy walk to Bath and all the attractions

· Friendly reception staff

· Friendly waiting staff at breakfast

The bad points

· Dampest room I have every stayed in

· Smallest room I have ever stayed in

· Room with the dirtiest carpet I have ever stayed in

· Most genrally stained room I have every stayed in

· The presence of an offensively dirty net curtain type thing hung over the bed in some vein attempt to pointlessly imitate a valance of some description.

· Room with the most rotten, useless windows I have ever stayed in

· Bathroom with the dirtiest looking shower I have ever seen (if the owners of the hotel read this please Google the word “legionella” )

· Bath towel with last users Lipstick still present

· Cooked breakfast was diabolical, soggy bacon, and sausages of indeterminable origin!

As you may of gathered by now I would not recommend this Hotel to anyone whatsoever.

The hotel is in dire need of extensive remodelling (preferable by mean’s of Semtex) and I truly hope someone has the foresight to invest in what could be a great hotel with a good location.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Warning, do not leave the ground floor !, Your resonably pleasant experience of reception, lounge and bar areas will be shattered as you climb the first steps to your rooms. The decor and overall feel is dirty and what strange colour mixtures. Get to your room and this is where the horror begins. The two rooms myself and my colleague stayed in were in drastic need of re-decoration. myy colleague was told he had a slightly better room than me, for that he had his own special mould on the bathroom ceiling, there were black marks on walls, paper peeling off, dirty Skirting boards and ripped and dirty Net curtains. The bathroom was also very grubby,limescale stains and dim lighting.

Television useless, only 2 or 3 channels not programmed, and awful reception,

The bed although old, was comfortable and had very clean bed linen. However that is the only plus point.
The receptionists were very friendly , however the breakfast staff could only utter words of one syllable, when asked if they had any margarine, a simple "no" was uttered and she walked off.

Breakfast was the usual pre-cooked dried up bacon, sausages and eggs that could be used as a new space age Teflon substitute. This is almost the worst hotel I have stayed in Bath, only one other can beat it so far and I checked out of that straight away.

I stay in Bath very frequently, and there are some great hotels, for the same price or cheaper, and you won't go home feeling you need a wash. Unfotunately I had to visit at short notice and thought I would give this a try. Once bitten !.

There are many better places to stay in Bath, do your research first !

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 2 July 2008

The best part of the hotel is the location and the politeness of the staff. Having booked in January 2008, I assumed (incorrectly) that the rooms would be allocated on a "first come, first served" basis. Although my husband and I booked in before lunch for a one night stay, we were given a tiny double room on the 3rd floor. The room was small and cramped. On going to bed after a long day sight seeing, we found that neither the extractor fan nor the lights worked. We had to climb under a table to access the power point so that at least we had some light, albeit it from a very low wattage bulb. We had to climb into the bed from the bottom as there was no access from either side. There is nowhere in the hotel information that stated that the restaurant only has a Chinese menu. The breakfast was cold, with cheap quality coffee, overcooked eggs and tinned fruit. No sign of any fresh anywhere. The hotel is shabby and is in need of a complete overhaul, from it's bedding and room decor down to threadbare carpets, particularly on the stairs. This hotel could be an asset to Bath but fails miserably. I would not recommend any-one to use it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple