“Not what you’d expect... Better!!!”
Review of Menu Gordon Jones

Menu Gordon Jones
Ranked #5 of 628 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$64 - US$127
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Menu Gordon Jones is all about amazing food, with an element of surprise. All Chef's menus are seasonal, locally sourced and offer real value for money. To really tickle your taste buds try our dishes, all served by our friendly staff in a funky setting.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My partner and I visited here as a second year anniversary treat. We have never been to a Michelin star restaurant before - and now wish we could afford it all the time!
We were expecting it to be really formal, and it wasn’t, which we actually preferred! The setting is modern and the atmosphere is relaxing. The restaurant can only seat around 22 guests at one time, so the whole experience felt very unique and personal.
The staff were incredible. The two girls on the front were so cheerful and bubbly, and the chefs served some of our meals to us and they were just as pleasant. They’re a team of 6 and you can tell they are all so passionate and proud about what they do. I would say that nothing I asked for was too much, but I didn’t have to ask for anything, as all of our needs were met without even having to ask!
The food was equally exceptional. I am gluten and dairy intolerant, so enjoying food can often be challenging for me - I am always jealous of my partners food - but this was the first time that this wasn’t the case! I was proud of my food, and really enjoyed it!
Overall, the whole experience was an absolute pleasure. The staff were so accommodating, and I cannot recommend visiting enough! Thank you to all at Menu Gordon Jones!!!
P.S. This review is for you, Amelia!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Visited here for the 1st time - lunch after a 24 flight from Australia. Gordon’s offer is a “no menu”, chef’s choice 6 course tasting dish lunch @£50, fixed wine accompaniment per course @ £45 or by the glass/bottle off their limited wine list.

It’s a small high street venue with a cafe-feel ambience, open corner kitchen and attentive front of house. I’m a foodie and in this space of ‘de-constructed/re-constructed” food I rate on an ABC scale @ C - competent, knows what they are doing; B - brilliant - one or two ‘wow’ moments; A - amazing - taken on a unique food journey.

On that scale lunch @ Menu Gordon Jones is a C-. He knows what he’s doing with a few bumps. That might seem ‘tough’ as this was a good experience and if you can afford it you should go - but let me explain;

Despite the ‘no menu’ there are a few regular dishes. The 1st dish ‘yeast & fungus’ is one of those and for good reason - a sound B; balanced, tasty with subtlety and craft. Despite this start it was a bumpy ride from there - the lentil mousse was watery and had an after-taste of pepper; the eel & cockles great; the tuna tartare: poor presentation and way too much chilli: ‘KFC’ - great and the final artichokes & bacon a solid finish.

For my £76 (lunch, G&T and 1 glass wine) this was an OK lunch - but at the end not cheap, inconsistent and a little short on the food quantity as well. A few extra veggies would have helped that.

I asked Gordon what he wants his customers to say about his food. He couldn’t answer that and I think that’s the issue. There is just a lack of passion.

I’m conflicted; I wouldn’t rush back but as the reviews below show he’s got a regular following and that doesn’t surprise me.

3  Thank williamlI6356HT
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We had dinner here last night and enjoyed it thoroughly. A truly delightful meal accompanied by interesting wine and excellent service from some lovely staff.
If this was London it would probably be twice the price and the service would be half as good!
Expect a lovely informal environment with warm staff and delicious food, based on my experience.
If you are looking for something stuffy then you might be disappointed.
Thank you for a really enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I booked dinner for November the 25th for our anniversary meal. I called and booked 8 weeks before as we were flying in from Edinburgh and my wife and I were really excited as the restaurant was recommended.
However, I had a call two days before confirming my booking for the Wednesday night which I had to explain that my booking was made for the Saturday and they had made an error. This was totally wrong and I made sure we were definitely booked in for the Saturday 25/11/17. I had booked via the phone for our anniversary, but I was told they had booked the entire restaurant for an 80th birthday. I was offered a lunch time booking instead which was no good at all. Think a better offer of a large booking came in!
So disappointed with this restaurant as we booked well in advance but were totally let down especially when it was our silver wedding anniversary meal, I had higher expectations.
I then had to try and book something for us two days before we flew out which was impossible in Bath so really disappointed with the service.
Find it very disappointing that my booking for two people for an important meal was overlooked by a bigger booking.

8  Thank Davidjones47
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Our second visit, from Bristol by train, and glad we made the effort. The food is so clever and well thought through. The combinations work perfectly and each course has a twist to it that lifts the experience to a higher level. I had the wine flight which is well worth the money. The wines complement the dishes and the waiting staff explain each selection expertly. I particularly enjoy hearing about the background to each glass and as always learn something new every time. Well done Gordon and team it is a pleasure to visit and eat with you. Keep up the brilliant work.