“Shocking!”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I visited this restaurant with my family tow months ago and now I feel I should write something to warn others. Firstly, I would like to make a point which is that the 5 stars rate this place has is in fact from friends or people who have never visited the restaurant. 3 reviews were made by people who have no other reviews (this is very likely accounts created by the owner). Secondly, there is something dodgy about this place which my story will explain.
I went with my husband, mother, grandmother and my 4 moths old boy to have an Indian night out. My husband purchased a voucher from TablePouncer and he paid £10 for the service (you can check yourself the site and its service, it was the first time and last time we used this site). The voucher enabled us to 50% off the food (this kind of vouchers are available from a wide range of companies, such as, groupon, KGB deals, mighty deals...etc.). However, my husband phoned the restaurant to book a table and mentioned about the voucher. We arrived the restaurant around 19:00 and we were the first dinners. The service was very basic. We had to go throgh the order 4 times with the waiter to get it right at the end. There was another issue which is most of the dishes in the menu were not available (the expensive once, such as, prawns and fish), hence, our order was tailored by the chef and we had to eat what he offered, not what he had in his fridge. On the other hand, the food was bad, I mean it, bad. Moreovr, only one table of two locals joined later, so the restaurant had our table of 4 and one more table of two for the whole night. The shocking side was that when my husband went to pay the bill at the bar. The chef who I believe is the owner too was there and he and the waiter told my husband when he tried to pay by card that the machine is broken. My husband did not have enough cash on him and the owner suggested that my husband can drive down the village to get cash. My husband did know the area and the waiter volunteered to drive him there. The only cash machine was the McCool's hole in the wall. Of course, chargeable machine, insecure and in isolated area resulted in blocking my husband card. I was not with him at the time to use my card and I found out about this journey later when he came back. He was very patient with the guys and told them that it was too much and they should not have put through this. My husband paid all the cash he had and he was £10 short, and the chef asked him to come back to pay it. Guess what, the restaurant is in a village 8 miles from Bath. Most of the people nowadays carry no cash and pay by cards, but it was obvious that the card machine was not broken and the owner simply did not want this transaction to be recorded in his book. He had no attention to pay the vat or taxes as he did not give us the bill. We understand that some businesses are not doing well financially, but they should never think about fooling innocent people. I am pretty sure that this business will not survive, it is a simple equation.

1  Thank Serena2013

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Went to this restaurant last night for first time and was pleasantly surprised to find the meal best Indian I had had in a very long time. Yes the paintwork was a little tatty and window surrounds could do with a good wash down but the food was excellent. Very polite and helpful staff but very slow in bringing the menus. Our popadums and pickle tray arrived and half eaten before menu arrived!! I had Awadhi Murgh which I had never had before but so delicious and just the right amount. Not that good a choice of rice dishes though. Vut my Peshwari Naan was superb but where were the raisins? They also do a good trade in take aways within 4 mile radius with 20% off the menu prices.

1  Thank pauliecat
Reviewed 30 July 2013

In the area on a holiday/break. Wanted a curry and chose Shezan on these recommendations. The food was fantastic, very good value, (£11.95 starter, main, side & naan). Service was too good as we were the only ones there!

The food was that good I would drive an hour to get here. It would be a massive shame if this place closed. If you live near Shezan use it, don't loose it! Highly recommended!!!

Reviewed 24 March 2013

A group of four of us went on a Friday night. Disapointingly few customers but the stayaways are missing a treat. Very tasty fare at a price that wont break the bank. They serve an acceptable non alcoholic Cobra for the drivers! Very polite and attentive waiters. Yes - we had a great evening.

2  Thank THATFOODIEMAN
Reviewed 22 February 2013

This is simply one of the best places I've been at recently. Just love it!

Most recent visit was about a ago with my family, we had a special occasion, my mother had a birthday so she decided that we can go at Shezan and celebrate it there. It was an unforgettable experience! She had booked a table specially in the middle of the dinning part of the place. It was really impressive, how everything was served, the decoration, the staff them selves. Seemed like a really expensive and classy place, but yet prices were reasonable considering all of this.

Food was qualitative, each of us had made a full order of starter, main and desert. We ordered in total two bottles of red wine which were fabulous. Portions were decent, frankly I've eating bigger, but these were really delicious and tasty. Menu was well organized and it was unique, it offered a wide selection of dishes and wines, could possibly say that there was a pretty good collection of wines in it.

Staff were showed us great hospitality especially their manager "Teriq"; they all being smiley, welcoming and polite. This places is definitely a must!

1  Thank Tomlincs79