2,066 results
All reviewscloisters restaurantconservatory barhand picked hotelshandpicked hotelsnew wingthe main houselovely hotelexecutive roomjohn woodcoffee machineafternoon teafresh milk in the fridgeon arrivalmain restaurantbuffet styleevery member of staffcity centre
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Booked a short break over valentines. Very pleasant and attentive staff. Room was clean, modern and comfortable. Location of the hotel was ideal (10 minute drive from the centre) with plenty of parking.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Bailbrook, Manager at Bailbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2018

Dear Tom-Portsmouth,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your Valentines breakaway with us and that the team looked after you well. With so much to do and see in the area I do hope it will not be too long until we have the pleasure of looking after you again.
Kind regards

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

I booked this hotel through booking.com and believed I had breakfast included for the grand price of £185 for one night! I thought staff could have been more helpful and perhaps given one complimentary breakfast as I had genuinely thought it was included but there was no budging them. They weren't rude but didn't offer any solutions other than pay £16 each for breakfast!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barry D

Dear Barry D,
Thank you for your review and for also completing the on-line survey which I have responded too.
We offer many different packages to our guests so that they may tailor their stay to meet with their exact requirements. I am sorry that you genuinely thought you had booked on a bed and breakfast basis with us but having reviewed you booking with us I can see that this was not the case. When guests make on-line reservations they are prompted to confirm their reservation whilst agreeing to the terms and conditions of the booking and I can only apologise if the booking.com website did not make this clear to you at the time.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We took advantage of the Handpicked 50% off offer and We are so pleased we did.

The whole stay was perfect from start to finish, the setting is fantastic, the reception staff were professional and friendly - The room we had was huge and set on a large square landing with only thee other rooms close by. The copper bath was just the cherry on the top of a beautifully appointed and very large bathroom.

We ate in the cloisters restaurant as part of the deal and enjoyed champagne, canapes and some really very well prepared, extremely tasty and beautifully presented food, all as part of the offer we took. The service was really very good with confident and knowledgeable staff.

The bar is well stocked and does not significantly overcharge.

Breakfast on Friday was in a separate part of the hotel and was my least favourite experience of the stay due to its location, however it was a good breakfast. We had breakfast in our room the following day and that was exceptional.

Reception booked taxis with no hassle and the trip each way for the city centre was approx £8.50, which was more than acceptable given the traffic and parking charges you'd have to deal with.

Check out was easy and friendly.

It really was a 10/10 experience and I would happily recommend a feature room stay.

Room Tip: Try to get the 50% offer for a mansion house room
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear 26IanH,
Thank you so much for your kind review and for giving us top marks. I'm delighted that you took advantage of one of the Handpicked Hotels offers and thoroughly enjoyed every element of your stay. Your kind review will be shared with the team in due course who will be thrilled that they left such a positive and lasting impression on you.
Best regards

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Had a really lovely stay at this hotel with my boyfriend for valentine's. Upon arrival we were greeted by a lovely reception and a porter who escorted us to the room. I had booked the romantic package which included a glass of champagne on arrival, 3 course meal and breakfast in bed.

Our room was lovely and once we had settled in I realised our champage wasn't in the room, I called down to reception (phoned from the wardrobe so my bf wouldn't hear as I wanted it to be a surprise) and the receptionist was very apologetic as she forgot to ask as said would I like it now or with dinner. I asked for it now and it quickly arrived. Ordered room service, a sandwich with a side of chips, must say we were disappointed as it was small and there was literally only 5 chips!

Room was comfortable with a lovely bathroom and tea & coffee with fresh milk was a nice touch.

We had booked in the hotel restaurant for 8pm. It was busy but had a lovely atmosphere and the room was lovely. We were told our package included a 3 course meal which was slightly smaller due to valentine's day but that we could upgrade to the valentines set menu for £11 each.We stuck with the set menu we had already paid for but I did feel it was slightly unfair knowing our meal was smaller in size just due to it being Valentines. If we had for example booked the romantic meal for any other time this wouldn't have been an issue. That being said the food was lovely and we ordered cocktails which were great.

I asked at reception how we organise breakfast in bed because it was part of the package but we didn't know how and the receptionist said there should have been a menu on the bed but there wasn't so she handed one over. We selected what we wanted and it arrived at the requested time in the morning, it was very nice.

Overall this was a lovely night stay and I did consider it good value for money, It could have been better if I didn't have to inquire about our glasses of champagne and breakfast though.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Rianna097,
Thank you for your review. Whilst pleased you had a lovely stay with us I am sorry that a couple of issues occurred which could have been handled better by the team. With regards to your dinner, we did reduce the content size of our table d'hote menu on the evening due to the various menus we had available however this did not have any effect on the portion size we served. I do hope that, based on this experience, you will continue to use Handpicked Hotels in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Friendly welcome and delicious food, plenty for 2 people, even brought some home. Service great to begin with but extremely slow towards the end, I guess shifts changed as our waitress just disappeared? Had to go to hotel reception to find someone so we could pay the bill, as had been waiting alone in the room with other guests for 45 minutes, such a shame our afternoon had to end like this.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank P1nk-Fl0w3r

Dear P1nk-Fl0w3r,
Thank you for your review. Whilst pleased you enjoyed the quality of our Afternoon Tea offering at Bailbrook House Hotel I am sorry that you found the service to be questionable. Your review will be shared with the team in due course so that we may further investigate and ensure this does not happen to other guests.
Best regards