“Amazing.. must visit in Bath!”
Review of The Scallop Shell

The Scallop Shell
Ranked #42 of 572 Restaurants in Bath
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Amazing meal, the staff were attentive and food was quick / delicious. We had starters and main, both amazing. It is definitely a must visit in bath! Great selection of fish and really well cooked. Atmosphere is lovely, but quiet enough that you can actually have a conversation. I can’t wait to return.

1  Thank CrankyWaitress
Write a reviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So good, it’s almost worth moving to Bath just to have this gem on your doorstep!

As I only had two nights in Bath and didn’t want to waste a meal, my research led me here, and it surpassed already high expectations. Apart from a few seafood extra dishes, it’s ostensibly fish and chips, but with a sense of occasion about it. The open kitchen adds to the buzzy atmosphere, and the smart and well drilled staff ensure the food and wine flows in a timely fashion.

Clearly the owners (head chef Garry is an owner, and gave us a warm welcome on arrival) know what they’re doing in all respects. Something as good as this is never a matter of luck. They have the right suppliers, and matched with knowledge and passion, what turns up on the plate is as good as it gets for this space.

We both had grilled hake, fantastic chips, and mushy peas, perfectly seasoned crispy skin on the hake, and as good chips as I’ve had for a long time. In fact, I can’t remember better. You can’t make a good chip from a bad potato, so I imagine the potatoes, and their moisture content, are carefully tracked on a daily basis to make sure they put the right stuff in the fryer.

Price wise, it’s just about Ok. Six king prawns prawns shared for a starter at £18 total is right at the top end. The hake and chips came without peas, so added another £2.50 each, pushing the mains price up. I imagine most people will go for cod or haddock with chips and peas included, which is well priced for the quality. Margins on the wine were fairly standard, but again, they’re probably on the limit. But I’m not going to dwell on that, as this was a stellar meal, and I will find an excuse to head back to Bath sometime soon so that I can eat here again.

2  Thank Jed M
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had an excellent fish and chips here. I had the John Dory fish and it was probably the best fish and chips I've had.

Reviewed 9 May 2021 via mobile

We had the most wonderful date night out at The Scallop Shell. Shout out to the fabulous Italian waiter who was extremely kind and made our evening very pleasant. The sheltered outside space was done up perfectly, I can’t wait to return. The food was outstanding as always.

Reviewed 6 May 2021

From the second we walked through the door, everyone was super friendly, kind and made sure we were taken care of well. Can't fault the customer service throughout the whole time we were there.
I had the sole, and my partner had hake - both tasted absolutely amazing. Chunky chips were the best we've had in such a long time. I loved the outdoor lighting and the canopy covers all the tables in case in rains which was perfect. Really had a lovely time would recommend to everyone who visits bath.

1  Thank freemanabi