All reviews thank you for a lovely walk into town foot pitches shower site tor facilities dog
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

This is a nice site with well kept lawns and pitches. The pitches are tight to turn into for the larger vans, particularly given the clear instructions not to stray on the grass. The site is on a fairly busy road so was not quiet. It was unfortunate that development work was taking place during our stay, with scaffolding being delivered and JCB at work. Not a major problem but would have preferred to be told about it so we could decide whether or not to book. At a lower cost it would have been OK but those issues do cause us to question the above average cost for a small certified site.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2017

We really ought to have read all of the other reviews of this site prior to booking a ptich for two very noisy and difficult nights here for our motorhome for £50 - the most we have ever paid for pitch. If you read others you will note that the owner has on more than one occasion offered to shoot the dogs of other motorhome users. Our own experiences thankfully didn't involve mortal threats to our tiny jack russell cross but did involve a very unpleasant episode.
Quite apart from the road noise which was extreme, there are no lights on the site whatsoever, nor any signage, kerbs, fences, notices or warnings that the grass lawn alongside the very tight entrance to the pitches is not actually a lawn but a peat bog topped with grass. Given the poor visibility on a foggy night and a tight turning circle for our 1982 Hymer we found ourselves just on the grass to the LH side of the pitch and totally grounded in a pete bog. Unable to track down the owner and unable to use our motorhome due to the angle we were listing at we called the RAC who thankfully pitched up and towed us out. During this operation the owner appeared stomping up the drive, was most aggressive, used foul language and upset my fiancee greatly. I was unaware of this as I was manoeuvring the vehicle at the time but discovered after he'd gone that she was most upset. Rather than attempting to help or to understand what had happened he threatened us with a bill for damage to the lawn and has since followed it up with a demand for payment.
I have now made a formal complaint the the Camping and Caravanning Club about the facilities at the site as well as the owners demeanour. I strongly urge anyone considering staying here to avoid it and find somewhere nice. Personally I'd rather be in a layby.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daphnuss
Jim and Julie F, Owner at Glastonbury Cottages and Caravanning, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Several key facts have been omitted from the above review grossly distorting the truth of this sorry matter as a result and I feel we cannot allow this defamatory review to go unanswered.

1. Despite the allegations made, the booking confirmation email provided the user included a very clear statement that users must not drive on any part of the grass because of the wet conditions as well as any awnings be set up only over the hard standing areas. It is mid winter with recent severe weather conditions so frankly a perfectly reasonable request and expectation.
2. Despite assertions to the contrary, all pitches have a sound gravel area and track with clearly de-marked edges leading to them, and where practical there is a white plastic chain link running along one side of the main track.
3. Regarding the pitch in question, the track turns in front of it and runs on some 45ft directly in front of the pitch hard standing area with a further turning space at the end of that area to facilitate turning / manoeuvring. The pitch therefore could be easily accessed by anyone showing due care and attention as the above reviewer had previously demonstrated when entering and leaving the pitch the day before the incident without problem or causing any damage.
4. The second night the complainant deliberately and knowingly attempted to enter the pitch by ignoring the hard standing and track layout as used previously by driving onto the grass area and attempting to turn into the pitch.
5. A peat bog half way up the side of Glastonbury Tor is an idiotic suggestion. The pitches are cut into the slope of the hill with a solid clay base, dressed with top soil and grassed. Nothing however would withstand or support the weight of a large ancient Hymer camper van being deliberately driven off the hard-standing onto very wet ground in the middle of winter.
6. On leaving the following morning the complainant again presumably deliberately cut across the grass when exiting the pitch causing even more damage.
7. At no time did I meet the accompanying women to whom I am supposed to have intimidated or bullied, In fact I did not come within 20 feet of her let alone demonstrate 'aggressiveness or use foul language'. If I was guilty of anything it was simple sarcasm in saying to the driver “Which part of do not drive on the grass did you not understand? “
8. Despite the complainants assertions otherwise, I stopped and with the assistance of the recovery driver help direct the complainant in his attempt to reverse the Hymer unit onto the pitch whilst keeping to the track and hard standing. Without wishing to offend, from what we both witnessed, I would doubt if the complainant could enter and leave even the lay-by he has aspired to without supervision.
9. Rather than gracefully acknowledging his responsibility and liability for damage caused the complainant has chosen to subject us to falsification of facts in offensively negative reviews such as the one above, complaints to the Camping and Caravan Club in an attempt to cause us difficulties with them as well as threats of seeking compensation from us to cover the cost of possible damage he may have caused to his own van during the recovery if we continued to seek the payment of a small invoice reasonably raised to repair the lawns as a result of his sorry actions! Such action simply beggars belief.

Thankfully the greatest majority of camp site visitors are not so disingenuous, morally corrupt, mean spirited and cowardly as this complainant has demonstrated himself to be by his sorry actions. A national register where camp site operators could list warnings of such people to other site operators is perhaps just a pipe dream but certainly one development that we would welcome.

Reviewed 20 November 2016

We stayed here in November to watch the Carnival.
Site is accessed up a steepish lane, although easy to tow up.
the site is clean and tidy and seems to have had some modernisation to the showerblocks, which are clean and warm.
There is no obvious reception so a quick knock on the door of Jim's home got us underway.
A very relaxed campsite which is clean, convenient and has an amazing view of the Tor.
We will be booking again for next year.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2016

We are a family of four who stayed at the Wheelwrights Workshop for 3 nights. Kids slept on fold-out beds in the lounge area while we were up on the mezzanine in a very comfortable King-size bed. Well equipped little unit with everything you need in the kitchen. Wifi was a bit hit and miss but not the end of the world as we were out the majority of the time. Good value for money for a short break.

Room tip: This is a self-catering establishment and not a hotel
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed at 'the old stable' as we had our dogs with us, we discovered on arrival that the old stable was actually 'the old garage' however not a huge issue, but we were expecting it to resemble a stable! (The garage door is still in place outside but has been boxed in on the inside!)
On arrival we found the owner, Jim, who showed us to the accommodation, whilst walking me over he told me that there used to be a duck in the garden but it had been killed, and if he found it was a dog that had killed it he would shoot it, regardless of whether or not it was on a lead! As we had two dogs with us, I interpreted this (rightly or wrongly) as a threat,so I was on tender hooks all week!
The accommodation itself was compact, which we'd expected from the reviews we'd seen prior to going. The one thing I wasn't expecting was the foot of the bed to be in front of the cooker, handy for breakfast in bed as you can see from my picture!
As the bathroom was so small it was impossible to get dressed in there and as there were two drops missing from the blinds in the main living area, getting dressed and undressed was a case of throwing your clothes on with the hope no one saw you!
There is a safe in the room which is handy, dishwasher (even handier) full sized cooker and microwave. Fridge has a little freezer compartment. Slight gripe with the fridge is that it froze everything, to the extent that a can of tango exploded in there while we were out covering all our food in orange, despite us turning it down, it appears to have a faulty thermostat.
Main living area has two nice leather sofas, one pulls out to a double bed which my son slept in and said was comfortable. The double bed in the kitchen, sadly had seen better days, it creaked and clunked when you moved in bed and trying to turn over meant waking the whole family up as it is that noisy. The memory foam mattress was comfortable as were the memory foam pillows, just the base spoilt it.
Location wise it's perfect for going up to The Tor as my husband and son did twice a day with the dogs, the garden area is well maintained with seating outside each cottage and was perfect for sitting in in the evening sun.
There is a laminated sheet in the accommodation requesting women remove make up before bed by using the cotton pads in the bathroom (there weren't any!) and that the towels and bedding was expensive, however our bedding appeared a little tired, although I do apologise for my hair colour rubbing off onto the bedding and the towels (it is vegetable dye so washes out at low temperatures) towels were crisp and white.
It does seem that I've picked on the negative points in the accommodation however I think with new blinds, a more secure bed base and no threats of shooting dogs this could be the most perfect idyllic place!

Date of stay: August 2016