“Avoid if you're vegetarian or vegan. Poor value for money set menu”
Review of Goodfellows

Goodfellows
Reserve with OpenTable
Goodfellows is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 88 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: US$86 - US$86
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I dined here on Mother's Day and were offered a set menu of two or three courses. We decided to opt for three courses at £25.

We are vegan mainly, but had chosen this restaurant as three other guests were meat eaters and we thought there would be some vegetarian choices at least and we would accept that. Our friends were not able to meet us at the last minute, but we felt committed to fulfil the booking even though we knew the choice of food would be limited. Just how limited came as a surprise, especially when so many more people are making the choice to avoid meat.

There was only one choice of starter and main course for us (mushroom soup and then baked fennel) and obviously all desserts were vegetarian. The food flavour was very good and the staff delightful, so my low rating is because I think the menu was very poor value for money.

This is because our main course was basically a small portion of vegetables. Whilst other diners were eating expensive smoked salmon, scallops,sea bass or lamb for example, we had to have a slice of braised fennel with a few bits of Mediterranean veg and a small amount of mashed potato.

I also had a glass of house white which at £5 for 125ml is a bit steep and must have a huge mark up. We came away feeling hungry! I was not inclined to bring this criticism up whilst there as the food was tasty and hot - just not enough of it.

My advice would be to do something like a mushroom bourginon, vegetarian lasagne or risotto which would at least be filling. But there is a wealth of vegetarian and vegan books out there so I'm sure the chef could produce something more interesting than a plate of vegetables.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

I have never been to Goodfellows before and was introduced by a client. What a great place!

The Fish of the Day was awesome. Fantastic, tasty, well cooked food. Some of the best food I have eaten in ages.

The disappointment was the dessert, which I am sure would have been delicious if it had not been refrigerated. Tarte au Citron is not that great when chilled I’m afraid.

Would definitely go back though.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Superb meal - lovely people - couldn't fault it
Thankyou for a wonderful evening a week ago.I would thoroughly recommend it

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

I loved this place. Everything on the menu looked different and enticed me - with no regrets about what I ordered. Loved every bite. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was quiet and cosy. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

The standards are high here wth food that never fails. The menu for lunch includes a fish of the day and a quiche of the day and both are sampled regularly by our party. The pastry is always melting and the quiche contents always flavoursome. The bread is made in house and choice, and the patisserie deserts made by a master of the craft. House wines are of quality, as is the coffee. The staff are nice. Book if you wish for a lunch table.