“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #34 of 581 Restaurants in Stoke-on-Trent
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: European, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fully Licensed Cafe by day, Bistro / Restaurant by night. open opposite the Regent Theatre offering pre theatre dining, Bistro - Cafe open every day except Sunday & Monday. Modern design, Art Wall displaying local artists works. Our Cafe serves freshly prepared and cooked to order food. From Sandwiches, Gourmet Sandwiches & Burgers, through to our popular Blackboard Specials. Being fully licenced you can enjoy a glass of Wine or beer with your meal. We cater for Pre Theatre Dining with an Award Winning Al a Carte Menu offering both Tapas through to three course meals. Our Early Bird Special is very popular with theatre goers. All our food cooked fresh to order, using locally sourced quality produce. We offer takeaway food during normal cafe service, have outside seating available, Free WiFi & customer toilets.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Just had afternoon tea through Wowcher on a cold and wet day. The place is light and bright, a lovely setting for sandwiches and cakes. We were waited on by the attentive owner and will definitely be back!

2  Thank 723jld
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi,

Thank you for the lovely review. I'm glad you had a lovely time at Zest and we hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Disappointing Afternoon Tea, purchased as an offer granted but what was served was shocking! 2 rounds of sandwiches on bread with the crusts cut off and de frosted scones and Victoria sponge cake. A world apart from The Quarters offering not a 30 second walk away!
The service was shocking, the very young staff had no interest in us at all.
Must try harder to stay in the game!

1  Thank Kitkatloc
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your response and feedback.

That is how afternoon tea sandwiches are made.
If you'd like to tell us an alternative to serving our sandwiches on bread I'd be more than happy to hear it...

Our scones are made fresh in the morning so I have to inform you that you are Infact incorrect there.

If you had an issue on the day it would have been nice to have it highlighted.

Could I ask what level of interest you expected? Were you reciting poetry to our staff and expecting an audience? Our staff dealt with your afternoon tea swiftly and effectively considering it was a Saturday afternoon and the restaurant was busy for the Matinee.

I can also say that your experience is not reflected in the feedback of the other afternoon teas we had on that day. Perhaps you were expecting something different.

I am more than happy to offer an apology for any food issues you might have experienced, even though they can not be rectified post the occasion. But the service was without issue.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

This is afternoon tea using a living social voucher the description on the site what we received did not come close to what we received ie 1 grated cheese1 ham 1 tuna mayo finger sandwich each 1/2slice of a small Victoria sponge 1 item they served as a scone did not look or taste like a scone if they are offering an 1/2 price offer you should get what they state on their website no complaints on the staff or the service but I would not return and will make a complaint to living Social

2  Thank Pauline T
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Hi Pauline,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The description on the offer is only a guide. It is not one of each as that would be quite a bit of food. The Victoria sponge cake is a rather nice sized portion if I do say so myself. If the scones were not to your liking I only wish you had said on the day and we would have happily make an alternative dessert for you.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Called in on my own one morning whilst in town for light breakfast, cheese on toast and a coffee.

Loved the cafe, quite small but very clean and the guy serving was very friendly too.

Cheese and toast was very nice but i would say to the owners 'Ditch the coffee machine you use'. I am a coffee fan but the drink served from this machine was vile, it lets you down as i wouldn't hesitate to give 5 stars had the coffee been ok.

Purely because of the coffee i wouldn't go back but other than that then i would recommend giving them a try

Reviewed 21 February 2018

Found ourselves in Hanley last night, and looking for something to eat we ventured down Piccadilly. Having heard some good reviews of Zest we made our way down only to find two members of staff lying on the sofas in the front window. One had their feet up on the sofa wth the other having their feet on the table!
Needless to say we gave it a miss.

6  Thank alvleigh
zestcafebistro, Owner at Zest Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your review.

What an excellent suggestion for a name change. I shall bear that in mind for the future when we look at refurbishment.

In regards to the rest of your 'review', Our staff work very hard, as you can imagine, so should they wish to relax at the end of the shift they are entitled to do so. I also find it hard to believe that there were feet placed onto the table as it would be very hard to do so logistically.

Would my assumption be correct in saying that this was either Tuesday or Wednesday night? Both of those nights we were closed and it was more than visually obvious. So perhaps you gave it a miss because the restaurant was not open?

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to write a 'review' for a restaurant you have never clearly stepped foot into.

Thank you, and have a nice day.