“Excellent food and service.”
Review of Kaltur Restaurant

Kaltur Restaurant
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Description: New food experience in Newcastle.
Description: New food experience in Newcastle.
Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

We visited on a Tuesday night and originally we'd booked a table for my partner and I however last minute we had to take our 1 year old. The restaurant accommodated our needs and privided a high chair. The food was delicious.... we ordered tapas which included king prawns, paté and black pudding plus almonds all were really nice. The staff were friendly and professional. We will be visiting again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

We ate here Sunday our friends had checked the reviews and we were looking forward to it.
We were very disappointed tapas should be tasty little dishes to share. What we got was disgusting our suckling pig dish was presented in a round shape that looked like cat food it was cold and diced and mixed with fruit I think apple it was covered with straw carrots why. The tuna dish was the same out of six people two didn’t eat any other than some chips and mayonnaise. The black seafood rice was over cooked and lacking in seafood. Most of the food we left When we paid our bill we were asked if we had a good meal I answered that no we hadn’t and that the food was terrible the waitress just turned away and left us. Why can’t they just cook simple tapas and not try to over egg the pudding

3  Thank harrisonsj
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Our Sunday tapas was so poor it was beyond belief. After discussing the menu with the waitress we decided on several dishes. The partridge and beetroot pate was quite nice, however the prawn, tuna and calamari plates were below par. Now when six people all say they were still hungry it upset my wife as she wanted this to be a good day.
Best not review the so called suckling pig dish or the black rice!!

2  Thank Antepost
Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

It was a lovely, intimate tapas restaurant. We sat by the bar because it was so busy and that was the only space. Because of this we watched the chef at work.
Usual red and green boards (meat and veg). Always good to see but I was horrified to see the same knife being used to cut ham, fish, mushrooms, octopus and everything else.
The ham was right next to the green board and when it was cut it was placed on it.
A single cloth was used time and time again to wipe down both boards.
I’m not sure just how veggie my vegetarian meal was!!

3  Thank Diana B
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Location and ambience is first class. Have some of their wines there. The menu is big and varied. So for wine, Kultur is really good.
Be warned about the food! Don't be deceived by its looks. The taste is below average.
Hands off the Creme Catalan. Awful! Even my Spanish partner thought it was horrendous. I would call it tasteless if there wasn't the taste of what could have been cigarette ash. Waiter and chef couldn't care less.

Bottom line: Have drinks but avoid the food!

Date of visit: September 2018