“Good and Bad bits”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2018

The main building where the bar and restaurant is is lovely with plenty of character. The food was o.k, not particularly bad or good. The main reason why I would not want to stay here again was the room. As we were shown to our room (in a different building adjacent to the car park) I found my self thinking the building looked like a public toilet building. The bedroom (twin room) was rather dark and gloomy. My bed also was on its last legs and it felt as though I was sleeping in a hole. It was clean though which is good.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 21 July 2018

We stayed at Keelman's Lodge next door and had dinner before starting on our walk of Hadrian's Wall the next day. It was good as pub food goes. We tried some local beers that were good.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

A fantastic place to stop after a 38km section of Hadrian's Wall path.What a combo...brewery nextdoor and a beautiful pub serving excellent food providing a high standard of accomodation. We had an overnight stay but I could have gladly moved in for the week!The Keelman is situated right on the Hadrian's wall path and since we had walked from Bowness the other end 3 days previous this place was perfect and left us a gentle 24km walk the next day to Newcastle at Wallsend!I ordered a side of fresh veg and a portion of chips which were all fantastic. The beers on offer are plentiful and I enjoyed a night of sampling possibly all of them in pints,chatting to fellow hikers in a wondetful friendly and welcoming pub atmosphere before returning to the accomodation. The rooms are located in a separate and secure building a couple of feet from the pub. The rooms are spacious,super clean and super comfy. This place truly is a gem placed right beside the river Tyne. Highly recommended.Will definitely be returning if I am ever near this part of England again.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

My husband & I went out for sunday lunch & we were pleased we chose the Keelman. We have ate here before but not had sunday lunch. We were shown to a table upstairs as soon as we arrived which was great as we are normally waiting a while anywhere else. I chose the roast beef & hubby chose the lamb it was served within 15 mins so was great. The vegatables were lovely & roasties were just right the meat was very tasty & very nice gravy. The staff were friendly & bery helpful. We would definatly return in the future. Compliments to the chef

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 17 May 2018

If there's one thing I can't stand it's bad manners. We popped in for a drink and possibly something to eat on the way home, first impressions from the outside is Wow, really nice interesting old building with a modern twist, nice beer garden, good parking etc etc. I ordered a coke at the bar, before I could say "no ice" my unsmiling barmaid had shovelled an iceberg into my glass, then we struggled to communicate on alcohol-free lager. Ok let's just find somewhere to sit, plenty of vacant chairs around, "can we sit anywhere?" I asked a staff member resembling a manager, "No" was the reply... Then a long pause as I felt my temper boil and struggled with myself not to verbally rip his head off and ask if this was the way he welcomed all his guests. Pathetic excuses followed about setting up tables for guests breakfast in the morning, it was barely 8pm the evening before, for gods sake! Twigging that things might be going badly wrong, my host did offer to sit us down in the restaraunt, but by this time I'm afraid it was a little too late to stage a recovery. Lesson for next time a guest shows up, do not treat them like an invader, try a smile first and perhaps a bit of a welcome and guidance where they can sit.

Date of visit: May 2018