“Great design and atmosphere ”
Review of The Botanist

The Botanist
Ranked #120 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: It started with a seed. An idea shared amongst friends. They imagined a secret garden, where all can enjoy the curious refreshments of nature...
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I finally made it here for my birthday meal and the place didn’t disappoint. We arrived early and had drinks at the bar. This unique bar and restaurant stands out a mile in
terms of the deco inside. Well I like plants and flowers so I felt I was right at home.

We were taken upstairs for our meal. We say on a veranda looking part and had full view of the bar downstairs and also the lovely glass ceiling that gets lit up at night.

We had calamari and creamy mushroom for starters. The mushroom was really nice and true to description, really creamy. The calamari was rather too salty.

We had the kebabs for main. The pork belly kebab was really nice. We also had the lamb which was lovely too. The presentation is always a draw for these kebabs.

With it being my birthday, I managed to get a free dessert. I had the banana doughnut which came with peanut butter milkshake. This dessert was a disappointment. The milkshake was warm! I’ve never had warm milkshake before, I only had one sip and couldn’t stomach it. The doughnuts that came with it are just oily fat cooks (African style). Not sure how this can be a desert. My colleague had the ice cream mix which looked way nicer.

The waiter Jack was very efficient and good at his job. I should have probably complained about the warm milkshake but I thought he had done his best. After all he didn’t make it and it was free.

While you are here, please try the steamy drinks. They don’t taste any different from the normal drinks. They just have added presentation pizzazz.

BotanistNCL, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi SthaN,
We are so pleased you had a lovely birthday with us but apologies about the donuts. They are not supposed to be greasy! Apart from this we are glad you had a lovely time and hope you return for another visit soon. We would love to see you again :) If you sign up to our newsletter online you can receive a free bottle of wine with us when you book your next table through the link!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,718)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited here on Monday for the first time with my daughter and we had kebabs accompanied by amazing cocktails. Have to say the idea of having a chicken kebab presented the way the botanist do is unique and very satisfying. Our server Katie was very attentive and always bringing a positive attitude with her service and had us both laughing throughout our visit. We will be back again in the near future for sure! See you soon Katie.

Hi BryonyDoh,
Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review. We are so pleased your enjoyed your visit with us and the service was up to scratch. We will be sure to thank Katie! See you soon x

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Good cocktails and a great atmosphere. There’s heaters in huts on the top bar so you can still sit outside when a little cold.

Hi 949jack,
Thank you for taking this time to write this short but sweet review. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have visited this venue many times before. Usually I visit just for drinks. The atmosphere and service is great. I was extremely disappointed with the meal I was recently served. Aubergine Steak on a bed of Giant Cous Cous. It was awful and for £11.50 I found it over priced and over rated. The serving staff and duty manager were great and understood the quality wasn't great in the food provided, they offered me double portions, which I didn't accept, they then offered me an alternative.

Hi Alison C,
We are sorry you visit with us was not as expected and the food was not up to scratch. Our aubergine steak is £9.50, which we find reasonable for the portion size and the preparation of the dish. We are pleased your situation was handled well by the manager but we hope we can change your mind by another visit. If you would like to talk any further about your visit please don't hesitate to contact us on andrewshielredfern@thebotanist.uk.com

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Don’t be fooled by the low key off street entrance as once inside the atmosphere is brilliant in the restaurant and bar with live music. Huge variety of food served by a dedicated young team. Too cold when we were there but there is a nice outside bar upstairs right opposite Grey’s Monument. Compared to other bars and restaurants in the City it is easily at the top.

Hi DavidandGillian,
Thank you for this lovely review. We are so pleased you enjoyed our wonderful venue! We would love to see you again soon :)