“Good value tasty lunch”

Kafeneon
Price range: US$9 - US$17
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Friendly family run restaurant, with a warm atmosphere and amazing freshly prepared food. Great for any occasion so give it a try!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

At last we tried Kafeneon for Saturday lunch and we weren’t disappointed. Service was good and food was tasty . We chose the shared meze platters or 2 and there was more than enough! The meze comprised of houmous, tsatziki , pita bread and salad as well as succulent chicken skewers, lamb kebab meat, moussaka, a rice stuffed red pepper and our favourite dish was the beef stifado. Even though we couldn’t finish everything we found room for some baklava and ice cream! Really good value for money too!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First of all, I found the service excellent. The staff were attentive, without being intrusive.
This being the first time I have tried Greek food (I have always been put off, as I hate courgettes and olives which seemed to feature prominently in Greek menus) I have no point of reference o how good the food is compared with other restaurants.
My starter was feta cheese and spinach parcels (basically pasties) served on a bed of lettuce. It was fine, but I found it dry. I acknowledge this may be the traditional way of serving this dish, but I do think it would benefit from a dip of some sort. I'll stick to Greggs for my pasties. My friend had a very nice looking prawn dish in a tomato sauce.
However, I enjoyed my main course much more. A chicken Sizzler with a spicy although not hot sauce, and rice. I would have this dish again.
My friend and I enjoyed a bottle of Retsina with our meal. The meal for two including bottle of wine came to just under £50.
One comment I would make about the menu is, compared to Indian or Chinese restaurants for example, there does not seem a lot of choice, so if it is your first time in a Greek restaurant perhaps have a look at the menu online first to make sure there is something to suit you.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It is not often that chance leads us to good restaurants. After a few hours visiting Newcastle I stumbled upon Kafeneon and it was a very pleasant surprise. Sheltered from the weather, the restaurant provided a calm and quiet environment where I could rest and enjoy. I tried the Lamb Kleftiko and it was superb. A Greek beer and the traditional Ouzo provided a matching pairing. The staff was efficient and smiling. A good place to take a better half, return and recommend.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

my husband and I just fancied something a little different this sunday and were really pleased with our choices. We literally stepped into the little Greek restaurant off the street, with no idea what the food was like. the Food was DELICIOUS, the staff were really helpful and smiling - which is always a nice thing, and such a relaxing atmosphere.
I had the Beef Stifado which is gluten free, which makes me happy and the taste left me wanting to go back as soon as possible, which speaks for itself! Hubby had a pasta dish which he loved too and all rounded off with a nice red wine - so all good. good price too

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was very impressed with their early dinner deal, 2 courses for £9.90, I had the halloumi starter followed by the beef stifado and both were tasty. Good size portions for the cost, added a large glass of wine and still only paid £14