“Lovely meal 😋”

The Trevelyan Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I booked a two night deal at the hotel which included a dinner in the Trevelyan Restaurant on one evening. We booked for 8pm and glad we did as being Easter Sunday and half term week the restaurant was full. We didn’t really know what to expect but were given the menus and told we could have anything. I chose the chicken liver parfait to start and my partner the prawn cocktail. For mains I chose the chicken supreme and my partner the venison( priced at £26). He felt a little overpriced to say it came with one carrot and he did order a side of chips . All the food was lovely and we finished off with a millionaires dessert and Bakewell tart. There was a little wait between courses but I don’t mind that and there were grumblings around the room about cold veg and slow service but I have to give credit to Claire who works in the restaurant for her patience and professionalism. She is a credit to the hotel. All in all our night cost us a bottle of Pinot Grigio from a very extensive wine list. For an all inclusive deal I found the restaurant to be well worth the money and the quality of the food was an unexpected bonus.

Reviewed 8 January 2018

We really enjoyed our dinner at the Trevelyan We were there on a Waitrose special break.The meal was excellent the staff were very attentive but not intrusive.We both felt that it was the sign of a good restaurant that the menu was very imaginative &not too long.Excellent for all three courses from both of us.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

Took my wife here for her birthday with the advantage of a two night booking through Secret Escape.Restaurant and meals where all excellent, staff superb,ambience very inviting. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

We ate here as we were staying the hotel and they offered us three course for £25 rather than the regular £35.

We, like many customers we saw for the rest of the evening, waited a while to be greeted and seated - the waiting staff seems to be looking at each other, unsure who was supposed to be coming to check our reservation.

Once seated, we chose from the not-that-inspiring menu and when our waiter came (a friendly enough chap) he asked if we wanted any wine. I asked if there was a wine list and he went off to fetch one. We ordered our food and a little while later a waitress came to take our wine order. When she returned, she had the wrong wine for me. I'd ordered a white wine, said which number it was and pointed it out on the list - she brought a red. When I told he it was not what I wanted, she looked at me for a while, sighed and left. No apology either then, or when she came back with the correct drink.

Our starters were great - a pork croquette and a goats cheese terrine - both delicious and very well presented.

After clearing our plates away, the waitress asked if we'd had any bread. We said no, she collared the waiter and he brought us some bread. The first time we've ever had bread after the starter!

Our main was bland, bland, bland. We both went for a pea risotto, having not been wowed by any other dishes, which all felt a little heavy on a hot summer's day.
We could not taste any seasoning, the only taste I could pick up was dried mint. It was well cooked, but really poor in terms of flavour. And the presentation was non existent - just a big bowl of rice. No parmesan crisp or handful of fresh parsley - nothing to add the same flair we experienced with the starters.

We both decided to leave it after just a few mouthfuls - hoping the waiter would offer us a replacement. She didn't. When we told her what we thought of it, she just took our full plates away.

Another waiter asked if we wanted dessert. We said we'd rather have a replacement or a free dessert, as the main was so poor. He didn't seem to entirely understand and smiled and said he was not surprised.

On our way out, we found a guy who seemed to be in charge and told him. He said he had heard we were disappointed and asked if we'd had any drinks then said he would take care of it.

At checkout, we found that the two glasses of wine had been deducted from our bill - a nice gesture, but we'd rather have had the staff sort it at the time and offer us a replacement main course.

In the end, we paid £50 for two glasses of wine, two starters and a few forkfuls of bland rice. Yes, we were charged for three courses, despite only having two, but we'd already had so many other issues with our stay that we let it go.

The full standard price is £35 for three courses, of £28 for two courses. if the starter/dessert is valued at £7 then that makes the risotto a hefty £21 - quite possibly the most overpriced dish in Britain.

I'd have gone for the beef, but that was an extra £12!

1  Thank TMitC1978
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Had a dinner (on the first night) inclusive package through Secret Escapes. The menu wasn't huge but their was enough choice. The food was very good and the service attentive but not overly intrusive. A nice relaxing meal after a hard days sightseeing!

1  Thank GAR4898