“Friendly Hotel”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel. The staff are so helpful and friendly; especially Lynne in the restaurant. We had a lovely relaxing few days with a great evening at RSC watching 'A Christmas Carol'. Rooms comfortable and clean and pool and gym are a great bonus.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen O
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Dear Maureen O
Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel.

I will share your feedback with the team, especially Lynne in the Restaurant and they will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Macdonald Alveston Manor in the future.
James Bee

Write a ReviewReviews (2,530)

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Just back from a one night stay as our work's party was held here and our accommodation was paid for. On arrival we faced a beautiful manor building with limited parking. We found a space round the back close to the Spa and trekked back to reception. We had a lovely, friendly welcome and checked in to room 119 which was in the 1970's style buildings added on to the back of the property. We walked past the lovely older style restaurant then hit the creaking floorboards, numerous corridors and stairways to the back of the building. Our room was on the second floor, but towards the end of the corridor, so I think we were lucky that we were on the quieter side (some of my colleagues commented after that they were disturbed by other guests). The room was large and airy and luckily the heating worked nice and quietly as the single paned window did not completely shut properly. The huge bed had a fantastic duvet and two plump pillows each (which I could not quite get right - one was not enough and two was too many and a bit lumpy!) The bathroom was clean with an adequate shower over the bath. The complimentary soap, shower gel and shampoo were nice to use. There was a kettle, tea and coffee, plus bottled water. A decent hairdryer and even an iron and ironing board were in the wardrobe. We noted that there were plenty of plug sockets too! The works Christmas do (130 of us) was ok, the food was nothing to write home about, but the bar was well stocked and at hotel prices which we had expected (£9.10 for a bottle of Peroni and a pint of lager).
After a decent'ish nights sleep we came down for breakfast which was buffet style, including full English (not particularly hot), cereals, pastries, juices, toast etc which was plentiful, fresh and tasty.
Overall it was a pleasant stay, the staff were all friendly and helpful, but then I was not paying - I personally do not rate this as 4 star, but then we did not have a restaurant meal here, it definitely charges 4 star prices though.

Room Tip: 119 at the back is in the 70's style, but clean and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank wantage71

Dear wantage71
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after staying at the hotel for your work's Christmas party. I appreciate all feedback as an opportunity to review our service and standards, and I am sorry if you were disappointed on this occasion.

We currently hold one rosette are proud of our food quality, however, I will follow up your comments regarding the quality of food both during the event and for breakfast with my Chef and Food & Beverage Manager. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

I have noted your other points and am glad that you otherwise enjoyed your stay.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you to the Macdonald family of hotels in the future.

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

the hotel was very good very helpful staff.
we took our 2 grandchildren to see the light's and Christmas shop, got some nice presents from the market, only problem we had was that 4 persons could not get into any restaurants any where tried 12 all booked up this was at 6.30 so book before you go out.
on the Sunday the snow was very heavy that weekend but would recommend that you give this hotel a try 5 minutes walk from the centre of town over a bridge.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Dear Ken B
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor.

I am glad to read that you would recommend to stay at our hotel, and you were happy with our staff's service and helpfulness. The lights and Victorian market were lovely this year, but I am sorry that you found it difficult to find a restaurant to cater for your party.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Macdonald Alveston Manor next year.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

This hotel is nice, it just lacks investment in fundamental things that would make it a truly great experience! The fixtures and fittings are tired and well worn. We had to wait 20 minutes for our coffee and toast at breakfast whereas other diners waited only a few minutes. The bed was enormous and very comfortable and the staff are fantastic, just over worked because there are not enough of them. Drinks are over priced which is not acceptable in any hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
James B, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Dear LeneAnn
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor hotel. Customer service is important to us and I am glad that you have rated the team as 'fantastic', which I will share with them.

I have noted your points regarding the facilities which I will follow up with my Maintenance Manager to review what can be improved locally. I have also noted your comments regarding the speed of breakfast service, which I will follow up with my food service team.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here recently , two nights in a room from the 1970s with single pain glass windows , low pressure shower , broken tiles & filthy carpets.
There was one lady on reception on her own trying her best but was overloaded and not getting any help , likewise on the bar which ran out of glasses! Was offered a
glass of wine in a pint glass!
Service was awful with long wait for main course with tables overloaded with glasses and dirty plates all night and coffee finally served at 2300!!
Overall a very tired overpriced hotel with staff that are trying hard but are let down by poor management and lack of personnel in key areas like reception and restaurants

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank lkvbmi

Dear lkybmi
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel. I am sorry that you have been disappointed with your stay.

I have noted the points you have raised regarding the room and I will follow them up with my Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers. Customer service is important to us and I am sorry that you had a poor experience during your stay. I will follow this up with my F&B Manager and my Reception Manager, thank you for bringing them to my attention.