“Appalling living on past Glory. Avoid”
Review of The Saxon Mill

The Saxon Mill
Ranked #73 of 146 Restaurants in Warwick
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This place describes itself as an upmarket Gastro Pub and its prices certainly reflect that description, However the food and service is abysmal.
Rather more embarrassingly I know one of the owners personally and the ex marketing manager of this small group is a personal friend. David now works abroad and he would tear what’s left of his hair out if he knew what his baby has turned in to.
So the details then? I asked for a glass of red wine. The barman didn’t even ask what sort all he grunted was “ do you want large?” My pint was not full and he didn’t offer to top it up. The beers was however quite nice.
Eventually we got shown to our table. No table water was offered although other tables had it ?
We ordered a bottle of white and Red which were okay for the price.
It took four requests for a wine cooler to arrive!
The starters were okay but over priced. Service was slow. My wife asked for tap water it arrived in a pint glass and he didn’t ask anyone else if they would like one.
Main courses arrived. My wife’s chicken was over cooked and burnt. My father in laws chicken pie was over cooked and stale. My mother in laws roast beef was passable. I ordered a burger with Stilton as an extra and no chips but a salad instead . It arrived with no Stilton even though they charge extra for it. I called the waitress over and she was disinterested in my complaint. I had to actually tell her to take it away and replace it. Half an hour later and when everyone else had finished my new burger arrived it now had a microscopic bit of blue cheese on it and the remnants of the cheddar they had clearly scraped off!
The
side salad was inedible as clearly the chef had deliberately over salted it! I asked the waitress to eat and she agreed it was inedible!
They took the price of my meal off the bill but the whole miserable experience has left a sour taste in my mouth nearly as bad as the salty salad!
Terrible experience at the prices they’re charging. Avoid!

1  Thank Jon G
General Manager A, Manager at The Saxon Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear Jon, thank you for taking the tine to leave us your feedback, although I'm really sorry to read about your recent experience. I can assure you that we are working to improve our food and service at the moment and I hope that you will allow us another try soon to demonstrate this.

In the meantime, please accept our apologies for any disappointment caused.

Kind regards,

Emma

Write a ReviewReviews (2,182)

Reviewed 1 April 2018

very enjoyable meal with family to celebrate sisters birthday ,location and service very good have.been many times before and would recommend it to friends as I always have.deep fried brie starter so tasty and would advise anyone to try the chicken,leek and crème fraiche pie its delicious look forward to our next meal at saxon mill.

General Manager A, Manager at The Saxon Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know how we did. We appreciate your 5 star review and look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Been for Sunday lunch a few times now and I'm becoming increasingly disappointed. The restaurant is now packed to the degree that you need to ask the person behind you to tuck in their seat if you want to get up. The trio of meats used to contain a chicken breast, it now contains a leg. The portion of beef is a sliver. The cauliflower cheese (at £3.50 per portion on top of the £17 for lunch) has been cold, luminous, tasteless and rock hard on the last two occasions. Last time I booked for three for a special occasion but when I arrived and told the maitre d (miserable as sin!) that there would be only two of us in the end, he tried to move us from the table we'd specifically requested. Starting to think it's all about the restaurant and not the punter. What a shame. Try the Bell at Ladbroke people. Sooo much better!

2  Thank OscarWarwickshire

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Our apologies for your recent experience with us and if we let you down with the quality of the food, service and the atmosphere during your visit. Your comments have been taken on board and we will be addressing these issues with our team so that improvements can be made going forward.

I hope that you'll allow us another try soon as we'd love the chance to restore your faith in us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2018

It's a Gastro-Pub after all so you get what to expect from such eateries. Visited on a very busy Easter Sunday for lunch and given the quantity of diners the staff worked fast and efficiently. Polite and attentive without being intrusive. Food presentation and quantity was good however the food can only be classed as of average quality. Roast potatoes were not crisp, carrots under-cooked, parsnips under-cooked and the Yorkshire pudding hard as stone. All of this @ 12.30pm a short time after service had commenced. Why do these type of eateries place families with children next to non child families who are trying to hold a relaxed conversation only to be drowned out by noisy babies and youngsters? Would I return, well the last visit was 5 years ago and there are better alternatives in the area however would visit again but not in the very near future.

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback and hope that next time we can do better.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We went to celebrate my Mum’s birthday and it was truly awful. We waited over an hour and a half to get served; drinks orders were late and when the food came it was very bland. NEVER again. I should have checked this app before visiting as nearly 25% of the reviews are terrible. I.cant disagree

1  Thank jonealesje
General Manager A, Manager at The Saxon Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

I'm really sorry to hear that we let you down, especially as this was a celebration for your Mum's birthday. I hope that we can persuade you to allow us another try soon as we'd love the chance to make this up to you.