“My expectations must be to high”

Gaucho - Birmingham
Ranked #61 of 2,517 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$30 - US$103
Description: Situated in the heart of the business district, Gaucho Birmingham is the city's premier destination for business lunches, stylish evening dining, private dining facilities and events.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Really enjoyed the great feel of this restaurant, dark, cosy, vibrant, lively.

I really wish I could personally leave a better review, especially, after reading all the five stars i think it was just me that had a bad experience.

My husband really enjoyed his steak, & bottle of red.

My rose, twice was served at a very warm temperature, even after asking for it to be colder, the staff member looked at me like I was just a moaner & said they would put it on ice for me for a few minutes, 15 minutes later they bring the bottle of rose, & it was only slightly colder. Then they said it had not long been in the fridge when I ordered it! And they had no colder ones as they had only just come out of the cellar?

My steak was nice, but I expected better to be completely honest.... The wash rooms were spotless, & very stylish.

The final straw for me was the bill, I am not shy of paying for great food, & have visited many fantastic places, but I have also visited many places much better than here for a lot less money.

A bill of over £210 I expect to feel totally content. Not disappointed. BUT my husband did enjoy the whole experience, so may be I need to give it another go?

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Came for a lunch with family as had read good reviews and the pictures of the restaurant looked great. I guess I had hoped the experience would match the look of the place -- elegant and well turned out - fine dining in fact - but sadly I didn't feel like it did.
The restaurant decor is indeed lovely - very stylish and there is a particularly impressive wall of wine as you walk in. There was a good ambiance and initially it was fairly calm so we could cary on a conversation quite happily during lunch. Once the restaurant filled up it was pretty loud and the addition of a DJ didn't help that. So maybe not the best choice if you want to chat throughout lunch.
It seemed from the type of people turning up that's is a fairly young, trendy place to go and a few tables were fairly rowdy and seemed fairly drunk which I didn't really expect that early on a Saturday and it let down the experience of a nice weekend lunch a bit for me. Granted I sound a bit grumpy in terms of the noise in the restaurant but I guess it just didn't quite meet with expectation for me.
Staff were helpful and obliging though either came to the table a bit too often or not enough! Food wise to be honest it was not very memorable other than some lovely bread/ butter/ oil at the start of the meal. The steak was nice but not outstanding. The wine was good - they only stock Argentinian but staff were happy to advise on wine choice if needed. Overall it was an OK experience but not much more than that. Have since had the opportunity to go to other branches of Gaucho but chose not to based upon this visit.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My partner booked a meal at Gaucho, neither of us have been there before.

Firstly the door hosts were stuck up and not friendly. No smiles or pleasantries from them!

The restaurant setting was fashionable however lighting slightly dark , we were placed in the middle of restaurant the serving staff kept knocking my chair as they passed behind me which was irritating.

The waitress who served us wasn’t too bad she bought to our table uncooked steaks to explain where the steak originated from and other pointless information ...the raw steaks looked lean with no fat on them unfortunately my partner ordered a 300g chorizo steak which was incredibly fatty.
I ordered a bland and dry sword fish :(

I think the food was poor value and I would not return here. They are other better places in Birmingham which offer better value and experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We visited Gaucho for the first time yesterday. Absolutely fabulous! I’m a big meat eater and they certainly did NOT disappoint. The Chateaubriand was cooked to perfection! Service was fantastic. Will definitely be making a return trip!

1  Thank Pinkyjo73
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Really enjoyed our steaks and other food on our first visit tonight. Service was also very good. Would definitely eat here again