“Outside noise awful”

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street
Ranked #57 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 June 2017

We arrived in the morning and were grateful we could leave our cases as we had matinee theatre tickets.

The hotel is adjacent to a small garden area that is frequented by many homeless people who ask for money at every opportunity, this is quite intimidating to be honest, there is also a lot of drug taking, which they make no attempt to hide, many of them were passed out on the floor only a few yards from the hotel entrance. The noise of arguing and swearing at night meant we had to close the window, it was a very warm night and as there is no air con in the room we had very little sleep. It's sad that people live like this I know but we never saw any attempt by anyone to move them on. I am used to staying in city centre hotels but have never witnessed anything like this before.

Our room was ok I guess for a budget hotel, one of the pillow cases was a bit grubby and the shower tray was so slippery it was like being on ice. This hotel was not for us.

Room Tip: Think twice if you are ladies alone or have small children with you
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
TravelodgeUK, Remy from the Social Media Team at Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2017

Thank you for your review, we are truly sorry to learn that your stay was affected by external noise. Our more central locations may be noisier however to ensure our guests are comfortable we do provide double glazing and we try to work with the local areas and communities. It is regrettable to hear this was not enough to guarantee a good night stay for you. We hope you will choose to stay with us in the future, where we will endeavour to restore your faith in Travelodge.

Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

I stayed in a small room on the third floor with my husband for two nights. I have to praise the wonderful staff on reception, who were very friendly and went out of their way to help us out.

The room was small but clean and had most things you need: comfortable bed, tv, desk (no wardrobe) and ensuite bathroom with shower. It was however very warm, even though it wasn't a particularly hot weekend. The window barely opens and there is no air con. However we asked at reception for a desk fan and one was brought up to us very quickly. That made the room perfectly acceptable at night, but I imagine it might still be too hot on a very hot summer night.

For a hotel in the middle of Birmingham, I was surprised that it wasn't as noisy as I expected. However, there is some traffic noise so bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

You should be aware that there will probably be at least a few homeless people sleeping quite close to the hotel. I realise that might make some people uncomfortable, but it didn't cause us any problems.

Overall, a good quality hotel for the money, and very friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2017

When I arrived I felt very unsafe as a single female as there were homeless people sitting outside the entrance and there was a camp of homeless people across the lawn very close to the hotel. They didn't bother me, but I didn't like feeling unsafe.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
TravelodgeUK, Niki from The Social Media Team at Travelodge Birmingham Central Moor Street, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Many thanks for this review. The safety of our guests is paramount to us so we apologise that you felt unsafe during your stay with us. We thank you for raising your concerns and we will be sure to pass these onto the hotel manager for you. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Staff and room were brilliant as have all our travelodge experiences have been, the location was great for walking to the city centre, five mins from bullring, ten to thinktank, but the sheer amount of homeless individuals being right at the front of the hotel sometimes bugging customers was something a little frustrating.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I've visited this Travelodge several times since it first opened a few years ago and never been disappointed. It is what it is, but add to that friendly & helpful staff. As an elderly woman travelling all the way up from the south coast I arrived at 2.10 when the booking in time is 3pm but seeing how weary I was the staff waived the £10 fee for booking in early. The room was bright and clean.. The view over B'ham spectacular. It was hot in the room but the window opened. For £53 to be in the centre of Birmingham is a very good deal

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 6th/top floor
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business