“Extremely poor food and service”
Review of Stageside Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Stageside Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are sorry - StageSide is now closed. Any patrons with StageSide reservations will have their booking transferred to Birmingham Hippodrome's Circle Restaurant or one of our hospitality suites. This will be confirmed to you by email or phone - you don't need to contact us - and if you want to adapt your reservation in anyway, you can let us know then. You're guaranteed a warm welcome at Circle Restaurant, it's conveniently situated on Middle Circle (level 3) of our foyer, a few steps from the auditorium and accessible from our Hurst Street main entrance around the corner.
Reviewed 24 January 2016

Took my girlfriend here for a birthday meal before going to the theatre. Upon arrival we were refused to change tables because ours was close to the door and cold.

When we'd ordered our drinks, the waitress came back to tell us that the drinks we'd ordered weren't available after saying they were. Annoying but it happens.....

Then it came to ordering the food. We were told that 'there wasn't much left', "there might be one steak left"... I had the (last) steak which was less than average and then my girlfriend had the lamb "curry". This arrived with 2 pieces of meat, and a bowl of sauce and rice. Less than impressed. She asked why this was the case and wanted more meat and we were told "there's no more left" ..... so basically she was given the last of the lot (which wasn't really any). She then asked for something different, but all I can say is..suffering prolonged

Extremely disappointed. Wont be returning

Reviewed 9 January 2016 via mobile

My mother and I were treated to excellent, first-class service and delicious food here,before we went to the panto at Birmingham Hippodrome. The staff(particularly Luke)were attentive and friendly, and couldn't do enough to make our evening special.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 3 January 2016 via mobile

Owned by the best theatre ever this quaint restaurant is simply wonderful! Great service and if you have a ticket for any shows the restaurant and bar give you money off your drinks! The Hippodrome stage door is also opposite amd its the perfect place to spot any cast members famous or otherwise and many cast members use Stageside too. Try the pasta with pine nuts its fabulous! And I love the branded bottles of Hippodrome water! The best one being the sparkling one in the posh bottles!

Reviewed 21 December 2015

We booked a table for 2, arrived after the matinee 2 minutes after the booked time of 5pm. We seemed to be the first for the post matinee meal. We decided to just have main and dessert as we wanted to leave at 6.45pm at the latest. The service was fine up to the serving of the main course, apart from a slight delay in the serving of the diet cokes as 'the gas had gone off'. I had haddock and chips, very nice. The peas were a bit odd for me, mashed peas in a creamy sauce, but not unpleasant. My friend had the beetroot risotto, which she enjoyed.

We asked for the menu to check for the desserts, it did not appear. We asked again and it was supplied. We both decided on the passion fruit and mango Eton mess. We were chatting about the matinee and did not realise so much time had passed. At just before 6.30pm I told a server that we would need the dessert in 5 mins or we would have to leave it. My friend went to the toilet, we paid for the mains and the drinks got our coats and the then the desserts appeared. It was just before 6.40pm.

The delay was a shame as the place had a nice ambience. The food we had was good and worth the money. The location is perfect for a visit to the Hippodrome.

Would I go again? Probably, but would lay down my timetable when I went in. Next time I will try the restaurant opposite the front of the theatre.

It should be noted that the toilets are up some stairs. Not a problem for us but could be for others. The main entrance to the restaurant has no steps. There are steps to part of the restaurant's seating area.

BirminghamHippodrome, Manager at Stageside Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2015

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our Stageside Bar Bistro.

I am terribly sorry to read that you did not receive our normal high standard of service.

Would you be able to contact me regarding this via e-mail:
neilsatchwell@birminghamhippodrome.com or Telephone 0121 689 3182 to discuss further ?

Kind regards,

Neil Satchwell
Catering and Events Manager.

Reviewed 15 December 2015

Decided to eat here before the show just across the road @ the Hippodrome (the Hip own this resteraunt), you really need to book as it's quite small.
The place itself is very tastefully decorated & very comfortable.
I had the Chicken & Ham pie with some great chips & we then followed with a sharing platter of sweets, these were to die for!
No rush to leave as the tables are only booked once on show nights so it made a nice start to the evening.