“Sweet or Sour?”

Purchases Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 254 Restaurants in Chichester
Price range: US$1 - US$13
Description: Independently owned Fine Dining restaurant serving Modern European dishes, with a cocktail and wine bar with seating and an outdoor garden area.
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

We went to Purchases for lunch on one of the hottest days of the year. As we walked in the door the first question was ' Would you like a cold glass of water?' - immediately I liked them!
The restaurant has a bar at the front, normal dining room behind the bar, a conservatory and a charming courtyard garden boasting two olive trees. We sat in the conservatory overlooking the garden. There were no fans or air conditioning but with a small through breeze it was bearable.
We were served homemade warm bread. My olive bread was excellent and my companion enjoyed walnut and rosemary bread.
We ate off a set menu.
I got very excited because gazpacho was on the set menu so I chose that followed by fish and chips.
I expected a normal looking gazpacho, but got a bowl of dark red liquid drizzled with oil with a pale green ball floating in it. My companion remarked as I stared at it in horror ' you didn't read the menu properly did you?' I had not - and it clearly said 'gazpacho with basil sorbet' . Having identified what was in front of me I waded in saying ' That's OK I like basil' without pausing to think that ' sorbet' tends to be a sugar based solution. The gazpacho itself was delicious and very garlicky which I like. Unfortunately for my taste, the basil sorbet was very sweet. I did not enjoy my starter - but that was my fault not the restaurants'. Memo to self, when visiting 'foodie' restaurants read the menu carefully.
My main course was fish and chips. The fish was a nice piece of cod well cooked in a very sweet batter. I asked my long suffering companion whether the menu detailed the batter and he said it did not but he thought it was a beer batter which can be sweet. Fortunately this restaurant serves vinegar and tomato sauce without being huffy about it. The chips tasted just like chip shop chips.
I had said no to mushy peas with the fish and chips, but my companion reported that the smears on his plate were mushy peas whereas the bed of crushed peas under his fish were garden peas.
We both had sweets. My companion had a merangue ( I really must learn to spell food terms! ) with strawberry cream, mango and kiwi fruits. I had lemon cheesecake with raspberry sorbet and raspberry flour. The sweets were the perfect balance of sweet and sour . They looked and tasted divine.
I had a glass of Sicilian Pierro Sud Bianco. My companion had a glass of Spanish red - I think it was Rueda Poema (?).
This is a restaurant with an experimental chef so you need to read the menu very carefully. The chef seems to cook savoury courses rather on the sweet side for my taste.
The service was excellent.

2  Thank MongravetA
KateMarketing, Marketing Manager at Purchases Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Thank you very much for leaving such an in-depth review of your visit to Purchases. It definitely helps set the scene for other potential customers when reading through TripAdvisor reviews and the team at Purchases encourage and value the support and comments left by our guests. I was delighted to read you enjoyed the homemade bread served upon arrival to your table although was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your starter, our Chefs are extremely experimental as you later state and our dishes definitely comprise of elements that may not be known to our customers. If there is an ingredient that you are not sure of on our menu, then please do not hesitate to ask a member of our team who will be more than happy to explain what the item may be.
Once again, thank you very much for all your comments and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Purchases to have you sample other dishes on our menus.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

We always look for a good ambience and attentive staff as well as good food when trying a new restaurant, Purchases did not disappoint. We went for dinner and thought the set menu for £21 was good value with descent portions. We decided to sit outside as rather too hot inside, a tablecloth for dinner would have been a nice extra touch.
One constructive comment was people having a drink were blocking the main entrance which was not very welcoming.
We will return and can recommend.

Thank you very much for your great review and for leaving your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed the Set Menu and we will take your constructive comments on board. We look forward to welcoming you back to Purchases in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

We had such a lovely evening starting with drinks in the garden courtyard area, which had a good busy vibe, comfy seating areas for individual groups and attentive staff. The restaurant was very comfortable with a great menu choice the four of us had different dishes all presented beautifully with generous portions. I had the steak which was amazing with a rocket and Parmesan salad which complimented so well another dish on our table was the Belly Pork which looked very nice my husband had the Beef Wellington again excellent and the fish dish looked great too.

Great wine choice and cocktails are also available which we sampled after our meal, would thoroughly recommend to anyone wanting a little something special and truly relaxing evening. We will return thank you guys

KateMarketing, Marketing Manager at Purchases Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Dear Lisa,

Thank you very much for writing a review on your recent visit to Purchases and for awarding us such a high rating. I am delighted that you all enjoyed your chosen dishes and that you tasted our wine and cocktails, we definitely look forward to seeing you again soon to sample some more of our menu.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Took my mum here for her birthday and it was lovely. Hadn't been here since it had changed from Amelie to Purchases but I was pleased to see it was still excellent food. Staff were attentive and friendly. I had the aubergine parcels and chocolate fondue and they were wonderful, great presentation and very tasty. Quite a large portion for the main but it was so delicious I ate it all. Pudding was amazing, could imagine it would be quite sickly if you're not that into chocolate but if you are, it's amazing. My mother had a fish fish which she loved and a beetroot starter which I tried and wish I had got it too. Great atmosphere and not too expensive either.

KateMarketing, Marketing Manager at Purchases Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Dear Leanne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a TripAdvisor review on your recent visit to Purchases and for awarding us such a high rating. I am delighted you enjoyed your meal with us and found our staff attentive and friendly. We definitely look forward to your return in the near future to try some of our other delicious dishes.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch and sat in the largish courtyard at the back.

Interesting menu and I'd definitely go there again.

KateMarketing, Marketing Manager at Purchases Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear Iain,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments on your recent meal at Purchases, I am delighted you enjoyed your visit and we definitely look forward to seeing you again soon.