“Fantastic Veggie Roast”

Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2021 via mobile

Visited for Sunday lunch with friends on Sunday 14 2021. First time visit.

Just wanted to compliment the chef on my Veggie Roast. Beautifully presented and loved the roasted potatoes and veg that came with it. Such a treat and very tasty! Even my Xmas lunch never looks and tastes this good! Thank you!

And the homemade ice-cream/sorbet for dessert went down a treat! Never tasted lime & coconut before.

It was absolutely hectic and all the staff were clearly rushed off their feet. All were very helpful and polite. A very popular place to eat from how packed it was. Delighted to sit in the garden and see the wonderful view in the distance.

Thank you.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed 20 August 2021

I just wanted to say thank you for your warm welcome to myself and my son when we visited to catch up over dinner last night. Your food was superb, service was spot on and your pub is a gem.

We look forward to visiting again soon.

Cheers!

Reviewed 17 August 2021

We booked for a midweek birthday lunch for 4 of us. Arrived to a very offhand ‘welcome’ from a staff member (wearing neither mask nor face shield) who clearly couldn’t be bothered, especially when we asked to sit outside. It all felt very harassed and although the food was ok, at least one drink was not as ordered and we gave up asking for water on the table. All staff had masks or shields either under their chins or on their heads - pretty useless and definitely not as advertised. Certainly didn’t feel welcomed and we only left a tip out of habit, not because the service warranted it. We won’t bother again - a great shame as it’s a lovely spot.

1  Thank homefoodie
thefoxgoesfree, General Manager at The Fox Goes Free, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit. My sincere apologies for the service you received and the welcome. I would very much like to a chance to discuss this with you, please contact me on 01243811461 or email the Fox via our website. I hope to speak to you soon.

Kind regards

Kristian Brown

Reviewed 15 August 2021

Such a beautiful old pub. Having read rave reviews, a friend and I came to spend an evening here to soak up the ambience and enjoy a slap up meal - not having seen each other for almost a year.

Friendly efficient staff, great views - the evening was all set. My friend’s meal (when served) was fine. Crisp lettuce, fresh brioche bun, well-cooked salmon. Chips average. Sadly, my fish and chip supper was mostly disappointing.

The chips were hard and brown tasting of old oil. Surprised any chef would have served them, to be honest. While the fish batter was fresh and crunchy, there was hardly any fish inside. Certainly wasn’t value for money.

The excellent manager kindly offered a heartfelt apology and delicious pudding. Appreciated by us, but has left me wondering whether it’s worth trying the place again.

It seems a very popular place and ‘should’ be fantastic. Cutting corners shouldn’t happen in such a lovely pub, however. Whether quality control needs to happen more often in the kitchen, I’m not sure.

Will possibly give the pub another go, so hope such a classic dish will be improved upon on a next visit.

Thanks for reading.

2  Thank SussexWriter
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

Fantastic meal at the fox goes free as always. Staff were helpful and quick to deal with any questions and the food was absolutely lovely. The chips are the best.