“Top Notch if you can find it!”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Leeds City Centre
Ranked #10 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I absolutely loved my stay at this hotel. The room was lovely even though I only had a standard room. It was large, and was equipped with an iMac which served as both the computer and the television. Internet access through the iMac was free. Room service was excellent and I had the best butternut soup I have ever tasted - it was so good I wrote a note to the chef which I do hope was passed on. It may seem silly but I have to rave about the pillows - firstly there were piles of them and secondly, they were exceedingly comfortable which meant I had an excellent night's sleep there. My room had a shower only and I would have preferred a bath, but this is a minor issue. Breakfast was good too - pretty much the sort of range that one expects at hotels nowadays.
The only downside is getting to the hotel. It is very close to the train station but can be rather tricky to find if you don't know your way around Leeds. One also has to walk along a rather dark tunnel to get there which can be a little unnerving if it is late at night. It is a shame that this gem of a hotel is hidden away like this.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 April 2011

Met up with mates for a weekend in Leeds , chose Mint hotel after reviews on this site . The rooms are lovely & excellent clean roomy & lovely , great views & apple mac nice touch. Looked over the canal , very nice , tea coffee & mini bar , well stocked but pricey . Best part is the bar upstairs , the lift opens & its a big wow , well presented & just lovely , we sipped cocktails , quite expensive but were so worth it , so nice to treat yourself & stunning vies across the city . Would most certainly go back . Lovely staff too & bed comfy

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Foodsquad65
Reviewed 27 March 2011

I booked this hotel as part of their £79 spring break deal for my mothers birthday, after looking at all of the reviews and I have to say that we were not disapointed!
The hotel is easy to find - even with a faulty sat nav, as it is tall and so you can see it as you approach the area.
We booked in at 1:30pm which was over and hour and a half before we were supposed to, and yet nothing was a problem and we were given the room and shown where to go.
We put our car in the hotel car park (you press the intercom and the customer ralations staff meet you and guide you into a space). This cost us £12 for 24 hours and was very safe and well lit, with a barrier to allow cars in and out.
We were also given a bottle of either red or white wine with our stay, which was a lovely touch, (especially as they are worth £12.95 each at minibar price).
We had planned on visiting the sky bar for a pre-dinner cocktail -but on arrival at 8pm found the place heaving, so we went outside for a quick look at the view and headed into Leeds centre for dinner. Apparently the bar is popular with locals as well as hotel guests, but the atmosphere was lively, and there was security on the lifts so it felt very safe and welcoming. Excellent if you are with a larger group, but would not reccomend at that time for a romantic drink or if there is only two of you. - Just go earlier before it gets busy!
Mini bar prices are very reasonable and there is ice availible on the 3rd, 7th and 12th floors (although not by the lift as the book says!) There are two types of glasses and an ice bucket in your room. A full size ironing board and iron, and little kettle and rea, coffee, milk and biscuits. Althought there was only one cup for tea and coffee! We did ask for another on the way back in, and after 20 minutes a second cup was brought to our room (which did make up laugh as it was tiny compared with the origional mug we had in our room!). That was the only oversight though!
Power showers are excellent and you dont miss a bath, with lovely hand wash and shower gel - grapefruit! The sheets are all 100% cotton, but I did not see the pillow menu it mentioned - even though I do think that is an odd idea ayway!
Location is excellent, it is 5 or less minutes to bars and retaurants of the Corn exchange with Waggamama, Weatherspoons, Jamie Olivers restarant and La Tasco all very close, and less than 10 to the main shopping areas, with malls and Harvey nics.

We did have a fire alarm go off at 12:10am, and to be honest we were very unsure what to do, as nobody seemed to be telling us if we should leave the building or just wait to find out if it was a drill. People still seemed to be staying in their rooms and coming up stairs, with a few people who were drunk and seemed very confused by the whole thing!
We did have a nice note by the door to thank us and apologise for any inconvenience which was a nice touch.
Also, as it is a city centre hotel there were a few loud groups of travellers coming into the hotel late and would wake us up. This is an excellent hotel for city exploring but do not expect an amazing night's sleep. Although you are so close to the train station and unless you opened a window, you never heard a train once! - Their double glazing and soundproofing to the outside is wonderful!
The imac computers are great, especially for looking at places to go, and there was some lovely information guides in the room about the canal area where the hotel was. There looked to be nice restaurants nearby a tepanyaki one and a lovely meat restaurant.
The best part of the hotel was breakfast which was included in our stay. We had a pot of coffee and tea each, indiviual little pots of jams, marmalades and honey on the table. Fresh orange (freshly squeesed- not concentrate!) and full continental, plus you ordered full English if you wanted. Service was fast and very nice, we did not feel rushed and there was always space (we ate between 9:10 and 10:15ish on a Sunday morning). The hotel is modern, light and spacious, but I thought that the staff were nice .

I would definately go back, as i thought location, room and value were excellent, and fancy trying the mint hotel in London as there are two and do the same deal for £129 in spring.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Campuslady123
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We enjoyed a spacious, comfortable and well equipped room. Restaurant service slow. Hotel difficult to find - seems to be next to station on map but actually quite a distance to walk. Concierge team particularly helpful.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I have stayed a number of times at the Manchester Mint, which isn't as good as the reviews, but is fine for a night. The Leeds Hotel needs head office to step in and sort them out. My biggest problem was the fitness room on the 12th floor. There is only one lift that stops on this floor, and it was out of order when I tried to use it. There were no signs, so I ended up eventually on the 13th floor. Security there escorted me to the fitness room. We couldn’t enter the main door to the fitness room, since that was broken, but we went in through the other door. He showed me the corridor through which to leave. I used the facility, but then couldn’t find a second lift down – I could only find stairs and didn’t want to walk down the back stairs to the 4th floor. I therefore returned to the fitness room to look for a phone to ask someone to escort me to the 13th floor lifts. There is no phone inside the fitness room (and there should be, for safety reasons). I later learned that there was a phone outside the broken door by the broken lift. Luckily I ran into a member of staff in the staircase area, and he escorted me back up to the 13th floor.

In my opinion, this was unsafe. The broken door should be fixed, and there should be a phone inside the fitness room. If the only public lift is broken, then there should be clear signage and arrangements for guests to access from the 12th or 13th floor.

I wrote to Mint, they didn't write back.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends