“Tea and a treat”

Ranked #243 of 2,231 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$4 - US$29
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Mansion's Garden Room Restaurant provides an excellent location for Breakfast, Lunch and Afternoon Tea, with some of the most spectacular views in Leeds. Our fantastic Chefs create a popular Specials Menu each day, using some of the finest locally sourced ingredients available. The Garden Room is also available for private hire (seating up to 65 guests). Ample free parking is also available on Mansion Lane
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Lovely place with nice views and friendly staff. We visited at lunchtime and had some tea a cake and a scone which was the best I've had.

GardenRoomManager, Public Relations Manager at Garden Room Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Hello!
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We booked a table for four for 2.45pm today. We were really looking forward to a lovely family Sunday lunch. The manager showed us our table which was ready even though we were a bit early. We sat down and after a while one of the waitresses brought the menus. We all chose the roast beef dinner. We waited a bit more and our drinks order was taken. We waited a bit more. The drinks did not appear for sometime. We had to tell the waitress that we were ready to order our meal. When she came she told us that all the beef was gone. So we chose the lamb as salmon or mushroom risotto did not appeal. Sometime later she came back and explained that they only had three portions of lamb left. They did have some poussin left from a function. So one of my grandchildren said yes to poussin.

When the food arrived the plates were cold, the cutlery was not up to the job of cutting meat and the gravy was on the dish rather than being in a boat. The plate had a few baby roast vegetables, fondant potato, lamb, Yorkshire pudding and a vegetable purée of some sort. Oh, and gravy. The plate looked like a bad day on Master Chef. Then I found that my food was cool and the lamb was bloody. I asked for it to be cooked more. My family had just about eaten half of their meal by the time My meal was returned. The meat was delicious but had un browned fat. When my grandson cut into his second piece of lamb that was bloody too. So that went back.

The whole place seems to be run for the benefit of the staff. They are not well trained, they do not have eyes on the needs of their customers and they are so slow at clearing away and service. The manager has his back to the room and not on the ball.
It was a lovely day and there were hundreds of people in the park, many of whom wanted to come in for tea, light meal etc. They were told that the restaurant was closed, at 3.20?

We live nearby but we will not be going back..

2  Thank sally r
GardenRoomManager, Public Relations Manager at Garden Room Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi Sally,
Thank you very much for your feedback, I'm so sorry to hear that our service and food wasn't up to our usual high standards on this occasion. Unfortunately after weeks of poor weather and quieter days in the restaurant, that sunny Sunday caught us out and we were far busier than we had anticipated - hence running out of several dishes.
We are however in the process of changing the menu format and team in the Garden Room which will take time to bed in, but we hope that you may revisit us in the near future. If you would be interested in providing feedback on the new menu format once in place, please do get in touch as we really would value your opinion, particularly if you live nearby.
With very best wishes,
Jenny Mason

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We had the lamb it came with dauphinoise potatoes,broccoli ( broccoli was cold ),yorkshire pudding,sugar snap peas, green beans and a great jus ( can't call it gravy it was to nice ).
The desert was an apple tart with creme anglaise and cinnamon dusted chattily cream, this was ok but the pastry was soggy and the cinnamon was tasteless.
We had a bottle of wine with our meal, Villa Maria Pinot Grigio.
I finished of with a coffee and a brandy the latter delivered in a sauce jug which I found strangely amusing but decided not to take issue with as the waiter obviously thought I was going to pour the brandy into my coffee as it was so cold outside.
The service was very good but slow we were presented with a cup of soup free of charge as the lamb was taking so long to cook ( worth the wait )
All in all a very good meal but just a couple issues, I could have been more demanding on the day but when you are out trying to have a good time you tent to overlook minor details.
Would I go again, yes will I mention to the head waiter the minor issues if I am presented with a similar problem yes as if you don't how can they improve It could have been an excellent meal if not for the couple of things.

GardenRoomManager, Public Relations Manager at Garden Room Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Hello Mr. Hunter,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. All of your comments have been noted.
Pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable meal overall.

Very best wishes,
Marie-Claire

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Went here for afternoon tea, lovely place.
Staff are very pleasant and helpful.
The afternoon tea had been a Christmas present.
It was a very enjoyable afternoon tea, the food was very nice and the sandwiches were packed full with the fillings and all presented nicely.

GardenRoomManager, Public Relations Manager at Garden Room Cafe Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Thank you so much for taking time to post your positive feedback - we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes,
Marie-Claire

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

I went for afternoon tea with a friend which was delicious. Service was excellent and our waiter Jonathan was very attentive and friendly! Will definately come again!