42 The Calls
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsfudgecomplimentary glass of wineboutique hotelriver viewhonesty baron arrivalexposed beamsprivacy hatchconverted warehouseoriginal featuresthe penthousecity centrewhite company toiletriescorn exchangecorn milllovely hotelmini bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Good location near to city centre and on the edge of River Aire. Nice heritage building. Breakfast ok but cooked to order so not fast. Rooms ok but very 1990s style and need refurbishment. The toilet had standing urine in it when I first opened the lid. The home made biscuits in the rooms would be a nice touch if they weren't several days past the date scribbled on them. Doesn't just ask for credit card details but actively puts a change on the card - £50 my case. This is despite the fact my room and breakfast had been paid in advance through my company - apparently guests can't be trusted. In 6 months of staying weekly in hotels of all types across York, Manchester and Leeds this was the only hotel to do this. When I questioned this at check in I was told the charge could be cancelled on check out. When I asked on check out I was told this could not be cancelled manually, it was automatic. It was only when I persisted the huffy receptionist made efforts to do this. Given the number of alternative hotels in Leeds I would go elsewhere every time.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Well the hotel although slightly dated and now in administration it is still open and I wish them good luck.
Arrived to one set of staff who were lovely and engaging who were helpful and as we left our bags and went out for a drink to return later.
Arrived back to a new member of staff who was not friendly and slightly rude. Felt unwelcome and awkward.
Rooms although tired are comfortable and warm. Toilet didn't flush so back down to the unfriendly receptionist to tell her. Works never carried out so I was ignored. No surprise there then.
Slept well apart from the screams and noise outside and this is not the hotels fault and not that much of a problem.
Got up in the morning to the original reception team who were friendly and smiling. No breakfast there as we fancied a walk so can't comment.
Overall would probably stay again but maybe bring garlic to fend off the afternoon receptionist.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank john o
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you like your bedding seasoned with pubic hair, chewing gum and other bodily fluids then 42 The Calls is for you.

I changed rooms three times and all the rooms were filthy. I checked out of the hotel at 11pm and into the Hilton down the road.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Been recommended by friends and didn’t disappoint. Quiet, friendly hotel with lovely well equipped rooms. Lots of choice for breakfast. Welcoming from the beginning. Spacious bedroom with decent bathroom- white company soaps etc. Restaurant for breakfast overlooking the river Aire

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2018

42 The Calls was booked for us by a friend who had stayed there three times before. I can see why. Fantastic welcome, great rooms and the breakfast was amazing. Brilliantly located as well.
The honesty bar was a nice touch too. G&T's please ;)

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple