“Hosts with attitude”

Wheelgate Guest House
Wheelgate Guest House
Ranked #77 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 29 September 2016

We stayed for one night as attending an event nearby. The bedroom was dated and an astonishing combination of colours. Even the bedding had mismatched duvet cover and pillow cases. The milk cartons were 5 months out of date. Most disturbing though was the discovery that someone had damaged my friends car in the carpark. The owners volvo was parked with it's front end in the bushes. On asking him to reverse it out we discovered identical marks on its front wing. All liability was denied. The marks were already there apparently! We packed up and left but not before being told that we could not have a refund on our breakfast as it was already cooked! Some people don't have the attitude for the hotel business and these 2 unfortunately do not.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank Jan D

Reviewed 24 August 2016

I and my husband stayed there for one night on June this year for a special bike ride event the next day. The garden, the hotel owner lady, the breakfast all were very good. would recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2016

we stayed here for one night in august.....the room completely threw me back to the eighties if not earlier I felt as if I was in a time warp.....the decoration is very busy to say the least and the pink sink just set the tone for the room. There was a pink velour headboard on our bed which was absolutely filthy and stunk of the previous YEARS guests heads....I had to sleep at the other end of the bed.....
having said that our room overlooked the nice garden. I didn't stay for breakfast so cant comment on the food. The lady in charge was very pleasant tho so cant complain there......Would I go back there....no I'm afraid its not for us.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank geordiegals
Reviewed 15 August 2016

This guest house is so bad that we left and moved to another hotel.The beds in the twin room are placed in opposite corners, and the bedding is very old and worn. Pillows flat and no matching bedding. The mattresses are extremely worn and have obviously been in use for years.Lifting the valance sheet revealed 2 spare mattresses under the bed and the bed was not level. The cream satin bed heads are dirty from heads leaning on them. 3 tea bags on an old china plate, lumpy sugar in a plastic container with a very dirty lid and out of date milk cartons were provided supposedly for refreshment. A lamp by one bed was on the floor with a loose bulb and shade .The rooms general appearance was grubby and needed updating. We was so shocked about the state of this guest house that I booked another hotel and we left this establishment.I now regret I did not take any photos of the room and facilities.

Room Tip: Please do not stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doris M
Reviewed 10 July 2016 via mobile

Apart from the fact it needs completely updating as it's fresh out of the 1970s, it's somewhere to sleep. Albeit not that comfortable. I'm not convinced the bedding is freshly washed either..

Anyway my main issue is the joke of a breakfast. £6 each for some stale Weetabix with 3 slices of over ripened banana and strawberry, a pot of tiny coffee which was meant for us both but we barely got 2 cups out of it.. and a slice of thin wholemeal toast. All that for £12. Oh and an eye bath of odd tasting orange juice in a dirty looking glass.

The whole place just needs a good clean and some emulsion.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple