“Awesome tour! A must-do!”

Salisbury & Stonehenge Guided Tours
Ranked #1 of 19 Tours in Salisbury
More attraction details
Owner description: Hi. My name is Pat Shelley and I provide tours in and around the Stonehenge area. I take you on an exploration of the many sites which help to explain what Stonehenge may have been about across some beautiful countryside. Many people come back again with other members of their family or on the recommendation of friends. We can help out with transfers and travel arrangements to make your travel plans as smooth as possible. I look forward to meeting you.
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Pat makes this tour an amazing experience, his knowledge and enthusiasm are outstanding. He makes sure he knows your name & uses it when chatting to you. He engages with the group the whole time & invites your questions. The journey from Durrington walls to Stonehenge is fascinating, being amongst the stones after closing was a real highlight & great for taking some awesome photographs as the sun sets behind the monument. This tour is highly recommended to anyone who even has a chance to go to see Stonehenge & the price is so worth it. Pat's assistant, Tony was also an excellent source of information regarding the local area, it's inhabitants & their eccentricities. We were dropped of at the train station in plenty of time for our train back to London, this was one of our most amazing days of our entire trip to the UK.

2  Thank Marc M
in 23 reviews
"surrounding landscape"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Pat's enthusiasm for his subject is infectious. I'm not sure how many times he's run this tour, but it never for a second feels like he's going through the motions. He asks everyone's name when you meet, and refers to you by name throughput the tour. It's almost like being shown around by a good friend.

The price may seem a little daunting to see a monument, but Pat takes you a journey around the nearby countryside showing you related monuments, building up to the climax of the tour - sunset in the inner circle of Stonehenge. With all the other tourists gone, the build up you've had from Pat, and only a dozen or so of you inside the circle, it's a humbling experience.

Guaranteed this will be a highlight of your trip to the UK.

1  Thank Carl P
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I found Pat's tour through an Internet Blog after my son who is blind wanted to "see" Stonehenge. I emailed Pat to explain the situation, and he replied right away, stating he could absolutely bring Stonehenge to life for our son. Pat was amazing. He had 3-D aids through which he provided our son an overview, and at the sight, he described everything in a way that brought the site to life. He walked the site with our son, helping our son to understand and experience the scale of Stonehenge and explaining everythng so well. Everyone in the tour appreciated the way Pat brought this amazing site to life--from explaining the history to describing archeological work to telling the story to helping us understand the context of henge sites in the area. The only thing that could have made this day better would have been our trip dates aligning with one of the longer tours. Pat gave us the experience of a lifetime for this early-morning visit inside the stones. We booked through Anderson Tours, and were driven from London to Stonehenge and Salisbury by Errol, who was so nice. This was an excellent day--one we will always cherish--and was well worth the price of the tour.

3  Thank Simone G
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Was dubious at booking -- "why does it take 3.5 hours to view some rocks" I asked myself. Well, I got a great history, understanding, and appreciation for the origins of Stonehenge via Pat and his tour. Pat is very knowledgeable and energetic so no time for boredom! And being able to go into the inner circle and touch the stones at sunset was stirring/awesome. Definitely glad my brother had me book this tour and do recommend if one wants to know a bit more and not just drive a good distance to only stand 30 yards away behind a fence and end up saying, "well, those are cool rocks."

1  Thank KenBabich
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Our tour of Stonehenge began on a day of continuous rain. However, that did not stop our  small group from having a most interesting and almost surreal experience.

This was due to the exceptional guide, Patrick, we had. Not only was he an archeologist but he has taken part on continuous digs at Stonehenge. His knowledge, sense of humor, and warm personality impressed everyone.

He made Stonehenge come alive with stories and facts that only a true expert would have. How many people would know that a certain hole in one of the rocks took 120 blows with a stone axe to make? Or the reason people are not allowed to touch the stones is because it disturbs the lichen that grows on them.

But what impressed my husband and me the most on this tour was watching Patrick, in pouring rain, without an umbrella, give detail after interesting detail about every aspect of the site. He could have easily cut short his lecture but he didn't. Watching rain dripping off his face with dark clouds and Stonehenge in the background is a memory I won't forget.

The entire tour group expressed their appreciation by patiently (safely under umbrellas) listening and following Patrick around the entire dig.

The tour would not be complete without the back and forth bantering of Patrick and the couch driver, Brandon. Brandon was not only an efficient and cautious driver, he was also extremely knowledgable about English history; he was a person everyone would want as a friend.

With wind and rain all around, everyone on the tour said it was an experience they would never forget. I won't.

I highly recommend this visit to Stonehenge by Anderson Tours because it is the only one that has special access to the Stone Circle.